Target: CEH

dbrinkdbrink Member Posts: 180
I have about 2 months before I start my Graduate Certificate in Ethical Hacking from Dakota State University and I have decided to try to get my CEH in that time. I did the CEH assessment at Certified Ethical Hacker Assessment | EC-Council and got a 72% on it so I feel that if I spend the next 2 months studying pretty hard I can knock this out. Not sure how that assessment relates to the actual exam but the questions weren't too bad and were pretty straight forward.

I'm not sure if I should look at doing the v7 or v8 exam. I haven't seen much material out yet for v8 so I'm leaning towards the v7 exam. Does anyone see any drawbacks of that? I'm going to be self studying for this using some books and videos I have access to through my O'Reilly Safari subscription. One being the Matt Walker All In One book that focuses on the v7 version. I'm also planning to check out the TrainSignal free videos and earlier this year I did the eLearnSecurity Student Penetration Testing course so I still have access to that material.

Any advice is much appreciated.....
Currently Reading: Learn Python The Hard Way
http://defendyoursystems.blogspot.com/

Comments

• JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    The CEHv7 exam is only available through 10/31/2013, so I would suggest making use of the plethora of CEHv7 study materials and signing up for it before then. The CEHv8 exam is supposedly completely rewritten and may therefore be more difficult than CEHv7 too.

And I have no idea how closely that online CEH assessment exam is to the actual CEHv7 exam. Any CEHv7-certified members care to common on this?
  • certerocertero Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I enrolled in the Eccouncil's self paced online training about a month ago. I emailed them a couple of weeks ago asking about the exam changes and study material for the updated V8. This was their reply.

I will add your name to the list so that you will receive upgraded v8 materials as soon as it is released. You will be provided with the v8 training modules, electronic courseware and a "Change" document which will map you to where the changes have taken place from v7 to v8 so you don't have to read the entire book again. (No charge of course.) The CEH methodologies and the hacking phases don't change from version to version. The changes are in the tools, exploits, devices, etc. Let me know if you have any questions
    Sweet! Anything else you care to divulge that doesn't violate any confidentiality agreements would be much appreciated!
    Yeah. That's pretty generalized information i.e nothing really "divulged" and doesn't break any agreement I have with Eccouncil. Someone asked about this in between stage of the v7 v8. For some people(including myself) who are pursuing this cert at this stage of the game it is a concern. Maybe not for the people who are certain they can make the October deadline but for some. I was just trying to help someone out in the same boat as I am. I'm sure Eccouncil would be happy to provide this information to pretty much anyone who would have asked. I know this because they were very helpful at answering any questions I had before I ever paid them a dime or entered into any "confidentiality agreement".
    I asked ECC a while ago about CEHv7.1 and they said there was no such thing. Yet somebody actually published a study guide claiming to be for the CEHv7.1 exam. Go figure.
    JDMurray. I apologize. I think I mistook your previous comment as sarcasm icon_redface.gif i.e implying I was violating confidentiality. At a second look I don't think that was your intention. I am rather new to the tech exams forum (which has been very helpful). From reading post regarding exams etc I see there there are rules regarding what to divulge etc that I'm not entirely familiar with yet.
  • dbrinkdbrink Member Posts: 180
    I am going to go ahead and take the v7 exam since I haven't really found any books for the v8 exam and I don't intend on buying the v8 material from EC-Council. Thanks for all of the info.
  • dbrinkdbrink Member Posts: 180
    Just got back from the testing center and passed verion 7 with an 80%. Not as good as I wanted to do but I'm glad it is over.

Some of the questions were worded kind of bad and I had at least one that I knew the answer but it wasn't one of the choices. I used the following materials:

CEH Certified Ethical Hacker All-in-One Exam Guide: Matt Walker: 9780071772297: Amazon.com: Books

Amazon.com: CEH Certified Ethical Hacker Practice Exams eBook: Matt Walker: Kindle Store

Practice tests at https://www.freepracticetests.org/quiz/index.php

In the past I have also read quite a few books pertaining to "hacking" like Hacking Exposed 7 and a few others. I also had taken the eLearnSecurity Student course a while back.

Definitely know the tools and play around with them in a lab along with knowing TCP/IP.
  • colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    certero wrote: »
    I enrolled in the Eccouncil's self paced online training about a month ago. I emailed them a couple of weeks ago asking about the exam changes and study material for the updated V8. This was their reply.

I will add your name to the list so that you will receive upgraded v8 materials as soon as it is released. You will be provided with the v8 training modules, electronic courseware and a "Change" document which will map you to where the changes have taken place from v7 to v8 so you don't have to read the entire book again. (No charge of course.) The CEH methodologies and the hacking phases don't change from version to version. The changes are in the tools, exploits, devices, etc. Let me know if you have any questions

I can't be the only person surprised they are doing something for free...

I guess I am just jaded. I didn't think too highly of the CEH or CHFI exams, especially for the cost.
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
    They actually just emailed me the "change document" along with some updated course material the other day. I haven't had time to really look over it yet though. Once I do I'll post what looks like has been added/changed.