are they really worth it?

OldBoyOldBoy Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
Im from The UK. IM 23 years old. I went to college 3 years ago and got a BTEC Diploma in IT.
I cant seem to get any interviews in IT based jobs( Anythink in IT from technician to Helpdesk)
My Dream is to have a job in IT

would IT Certificates help me? would they get me interviews? and get a career

Comments

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    They won't hurt, but are by no means a guarantee.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • j.petrovj.petrov Member Posts: 282
    It will definitely help. I recently switched careers and could not get any interviews for IT jobs. I then got a few certs under my belt and started getting interviews. So far the CCNA opened the most doors for me. Some employers said they wouldn't have called me without it.

If you focus and get some certs you will get your dream job.
  • NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    would IT Certificates help me?
    Yes, certifications help. They help you learn what to do, get jobs, and get paid more. :)
    would they get me interviews?
    That's going to depend on the combination of your education, experience, certification, and resume. While entry-level certifications will certainly bump up one aspect of your portfolio, they do not guarantee interviews.
    and get a career
    It could be a start.
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Depends. Some places couldn't care less and others aren't going to call you for an interview without them. It doesn't hurt to have them and it certainly doesn't hurt to have the knowledge that is obtained by getting them.

You don't need to make a career out of cert collecting if you don't want them, but I think it would be foolish not to go get at least some. Especially for a 23 year old.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • OldBoyOldBoy Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks. If i wanted to take a Network route what Certs would you suggest me to go for? i'm starting comptia a+ just to get the tech side for now ( reading mikes book)
  • j.petrovj.petrov Member Posts: 282
    I was in your shoes less than a year ago. I did A+ then followed up with Network+, then right into CCNA.
  • boobobobobobboobobobobob Member Posts: 118
    Have you ever thought about going back to school and getting your degree?
  • MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Are you aiming too high? I've seen a lot of people complain about not getting a job when they're only applying for Network admin, system admin jobs which require 3 - 5+ years experience.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
    j.petrov wrote: »
    I was in your shoes less than a year ago. I did A+ then followed up with Network+, then right into CCNA.

How's it going now you've gain them certs?

Have you ever thought about going back to school and getting your degree?

No sadly I can't afford too in time and money.
    MAC_Addy wrote: »
    Are you aiming too high? I've seen a lot of people complain about not getting a job when they're only applying for Network admin, system admin jobs which require 3 - 5+ years experience.

I'm not aiming to high? Help desk is bottom of the pile job I thought?
  • discount81discount81 Member Posts: 213
    Honestly I wouldn't hire someone without a certification in the field they applied for.
    http://www.darvilleit.com - a blog I write about IT and technology.
  • Snow.brosSnow.bros Member Posts: 832 ■■■■□□□□□□
    With no doubt i didn't go to college or any type of institution i am only certified and i am on a learner ship program, so go for it.