new and needs help

t734t734 Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am going for my AAS in CIT at 57 years old. Just started last week. I took tech back in the stone age [1980] and now am working to get into network maintenance. I will take any and all help you folks can share. Subnetting is still a little tough for me but I think I'm getting it. Anything that would make it easier is greatly appreciated. We use Cisco Netcad Packet Tracer for our labs. It seems like a great way to learn. Thanks in advance folks.

Comments

• SharkDiverSharkDiver Member Posts: 844
    Try this site and work on them until you can do them in your head in less than 10 - 15 seconds each.
    I didn't take the CCNA until I could do them in less than 10 seconds each.
  • IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    This is the page SharkDiver probably meant: Subnettingquestions.com
    Try this one too and give some feedback if you can: Subnetting.net
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
  • t734t734 Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you guys.
  • DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    Welcome to the forums t734 and good luck with the AAS. Subnetting is a challenge for may people and one of the things I've found is successful is repetition and looking it from more than one perspective. I'm betting that with the two sites IvanJam provided combined with the coursework, you'll master it quickly.
    Darril wrote: »
    Welcome to the forums t734 and good luck with the AAS. Subnetting is a challenge for may people and one of the things I've found is successful is repetition and looking it from more than one perspective. I'm betting that with the two sites IvanJam provided combined with the coursework, you'll master it quickly.

Thank you Darril. I am starting to get the hang of it. This forum, is quite helpful.
    Cam you tell me the methodology used to figure next hop without giving me the direct answer to the following. I have a lab in the Cisco PT that asks the following.

You have been given the 192.168.1.0/24 address space to use in your network design. The network consists of the following segments:
    • The LAN connected to router R1 will require enough IP addresses to support 15 hosts.
    • The LAN connected to router R2 will require enough IP addresses to support 30 hosts.
    • The link between router R1 and router R2 will require IP addresses at each end of the link.

Now I have my first router correct at 192.168.1.16/28 via 192.168.1.32. I submitted the next hop as 192/168.1.33 as the next hop i.e. the next router with a mask of 255.255.255.224. The lab rejects my addys. Without directly resolving the lab for me, what is the method given the parameters above to answer this? Is the addy of the second router incorrect because I have not accounted for all possible hosts? This is frustrating. We are not even covering this for another week but it's perplexing as to what I am doing wrong.

Thank you guys
    Here's what I see:
    Subnet1 -> R1 -> Subnet2 -> R2 -> Subnet3
    15 hosts 2 hosts 30 hosts

These questions might help.

What range of IPs are you using on Subnet 1?
    What IP address did you assign to the R1 interface on Subnet 1?

What two IPs are you using on Subnet 2?
    What IP address did you assign to the R1 interface on Subnet 2?
    What IP address did you assign to the R2 interface on Subnet 2?

What range of IPs are you using on Subnet 3?
    What IP address did you assign to the R2 interface on Subnet 3?
    Darril wrote: »
    Here's what I see:
    Subnet1 -> R1 -> Subnet2 -> R2 -> Subnet3
    15 hosts 2 hosts 30 hosts

These questions might help.

What range of IPs are you using on Subnet 1?
    What IP address did you assign to the R1 interface on Subnet 1?

What two IPs are you using on Subnet 2?
    What IP address did you assign to the R1 interface on Subnet 2?
    What IP address did you assign to the R2 interface on Subnet 2?

What range of IPs are you using on Subnet 3?
    What IP address did you assign to the R2 interface on Subnet 3?

I assigned 192.168.1.16 to the first. I assigned 192.168.1.64 to the last thinking I am covering all the hosts for the network. My addy for R2 gets rejected. Now I am thinking that the R2 addy should be 192.168.1.32 with a limit of .62. R1 has an addy of .17 and R2 has an addy of .63 for now. But on second thought, I'm thinking the R2 addy should be .33 with a range to .62. My R1 addys have been accepted. It asks for next hop. Would that be the next router addy in the scenario? Thoughts?

Thanks
    Yes, in general, the next hop is the next router. More specifically, the next hop refers to the address of the near side interface on the next router. In this scenario (Subnet1 -> R1 -> Subnet2 -> R2 -> Subnet3), going from Subnet1 to Subnet3, the address on the Subnet2 side of R2 is the next hop after R1.

R1 has two addresses: One on subnet 1 and one on subnet 2.

R2 has two addresses: One on subnet 2 and one on subnet 3.

What are the two addresses and subnet masks you assigned to R1?
    R1 subnet 1 IP: ________________ Subnet mask: ________________
    R1 subnet 2 IP: ________________ Subnet mask: ________________

What are the two addresses and subnet masks you're trying to assign to R2?
    R2 subnet 2 IP: ________________ Subnet mask: ________________ (this is the next hop)
    R2 subnet 3 IP: ________________ Subnet mask: ________________
    Thanks Darril. I got the lab right last week after applying your methodology. I'm a rookie with much to learn.icon_wink.gif

We are now up to the process of class B subnetting from a class C with up to 400 hosts on 7 networks. I stumble on the class B assignments. We are now at the point of router configurations. Can you give me a guideline to class B addressing/subnetting? The following is my challenge.............

You have been given the 172.16.0.0 /22 address space to use in your network design. The network consists of the following segments:
    • 1st subnet, existing student LAN, up to 400 hosts; (Fa0/0 on R2-Central)
    • 2nd subnet, future student LAN, up to 180 hosts; (not yet implemented)
    • 3rd subnet, existing ISP LAN, up to 40 hosts; (Fa0/0 on R1-ISP)
    • 4th subnet, future ISP LAN, up to 18 hosts; (not yet implemented)
    • 5th subnet, existing WAN, point-to-point link; (S0/0/0 on R1-ISP and R2-Central)
    • 6th subnet, future WAN, point-to-point link; (not yet implemented)
    • 7th subnet, future WAN, point-to-point link. (not yet implemented)
    1. For the server, configure the second highest usable IP address on the ISP LAN subnet.
    2. For R1-ISP's Fa0/0 interface, configure the highest usable IP address on the ISP LAN subnet.
    3. For R1-ISP's S0/0/0 interface, configure the highest usable address on the existing WAN subnet.
    4. For R2-Central's S0/0/0 interface, use the lowest usable address on the existing WAN subnet.
    5. For R2-Central's Fa0/0 interface, use the highest usable address on the existing student LAN subnet.
    6. For PCs 1A and 1B, use the first 2 IP addresses (two lowest usable addresses) on the existing student LAN subnet.
    7. For PCs 1A and 1B, in addition to IP configuration, configure them to use DNS services.
    8. For the server, enable DNS services, use the domain name eagle-server.example.com, and enable HTTP services
    I know the offset is four making the mask 255.255.252.0.............I think. I am fine on class C but when I have to go the other way in addressing I get confused.
    Thanks.
  • About7NarwhalAbout7Narwhal Member Posts: 761
    Subnetting and the OSI are the main reasons why I have avoided the Network +. I struggle to keep interest in those things and quickly lose drive. I know it is important and I am sure my 70-680 would have been a bit easier had I known how to easily subnet. Anyway, just letting you know that you are not alone with this one. I will be taking the Net+ here in Q4.
  • zdczdc Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    @About7Narwhal
    There was almost no questions on subnetting when I took the Net+. However there were lots of OSI questions.
    172.16.0.0 is a Class B address. If you can do a Class C address, you can use the same methods for a Class B.

For example, a Class C address of 192.168.1.0/24 can be subneted by borrowing some bits such as 192.168.1.0/26 or 192.168.1.0/30.
    Similarly, a Class B address of 172.16.0.0/16 can be subnetted by borrowing some bits such as 172.16.0.0/18 or 172.16.0.0/22.

This type of problem is much deeper than you'll need for the Network+ exam. If you're not getting the help you need from your professors in understanding these concepts, you might like to post some questions in the CCNA /CCENT forums: CCNA / CCENT Forums.

Good luck.
    I want to thank you guys for all of your advice. I applied all of what you people told me as well as what I learned in class and got an 88% on the CCNA final. The final only had a few subnet questions but our instructor wanted us to try and learn it. It took awhile but it finally clicked. We finished the last week or so on Cisco routers and CLI commands. My instructor told me to put a resume together for the fall after I take the switch and routing course. He seems to think I will ready for a possible internship or entry level position by then. You guys have any tips on how to try and get an internship? I put in my application for a Cisco internship two weeks ago. Thank you Darril for assistance with my labs.
    Congratulations. You might like to take a look at some of the other forums on this site. This one is focused on jobs and degrees: (IT Jobs / Degrees Forums) and if you post a query there about an internship, you might get a better response. I have the impression you CCNA final was only for the AAS and not the actual certification. If that's true, you might like to look at the forum focused on CCNA and CCENT certification exams: CCNA / CCENT Forums.

Good luck.
    Thanks again Darril. You're correct. My exam was for CCNA Exploration 1. Intro education. I will save those links you posted. I'll take all the good advice I can get ;)