TSHOOT Passed - CCNP At Last!!!

iamme4evaiamme4eva Member Posts: 272
Well that's that! Passed my TSHOOT this morning so I'm now a CCNP!

Happy as larry - whoever larry is.

It's been a lot of hard work, long evenings and expensive electricity bills, but I'm there.

My summarisation on my experience -

ROUTE: Lab lab lab. There's a lot of material to cover in this topic, and a lot of practical can be done to practice. I really enjoyed studying this, and I actually found the exam both enjoyable and intuitive. I used GNS3 while I was on the road, and my lab when I was home. I am definitely more layer 3 than 2. icon_lol.gif

SWITCH: I found this tougher than route. A lot of people say the opposite, but I just found it a lot drier and less "fun". I didn't think there was as much to lab, I found it a lot more theory than practical. But it's all good stuff. That said, I still did a lot of labbing. The downside was, I could only lab while I was home - but luckily timing worked out well and I hardly worked away while I was studying this. I actually found this exam to be a little awkward - I found myself thinking the questions were a little vague and a couple of answers could have fit. Maybe that's just because I found it hard.

TSHOOT: Troubleshooting is what I do. I've been troubleshooting complex networking systems (often with bespoke hardware that make things run a bit quirky) for 8 years. I found this exam fairly straight forward. I really enjoyed it. One of the multi-choice questions caught me out, but I nailed all the tickets, so it doesn't really matter. I found some of the tickets to be really good. Some were 2-minute jobs, but there were a couple that really got me thinking, sitting back in my chair and taking a minute. It was fun! It really does your ability to logically diagnose a problem - a very fair exam.

Anyway, I'm undecided what's next for me. I don't know whether to persue my CCIE, or do CCNA/CCNP Security. Both would be good for me, I'm just not sure where I want to head. First though, it's a month off with lots of beer!

Thanks to everyone for their support on here, it's been really useful. Time for me to stick around and try and give back.

To the pub!
Current objective: CCNA Security
My blog: mybraindump.co.uk

Comments

• FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Awesome job man, CONGRATS!!! I am taking Route next week been studying for it hard for the past 5 months :/
  • aaron0011aaron0011 Member Posts: 330
    Congrats. I'm getting ready to start this journey myself after taking a month off post CCNP Voice.
  • razarrazar Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats, it must feel great. Hopefully I'll be there too by the end of this year and then i'll face the same dilemma as you, dive straight into ccie or diversify a bit with security.

Think I'll go with ccna security first and then maybe even Jncia, don't use Juniper at my current job but I'd like to learn even the basic commands so I won't be totally lost if I have to configure one of their devices in the future.
  • SharkDiverSharkDiver Member Posts: 844
    Congratulations!!!
    I found SWITCH to be the toughest too.
    Good luck on whatever is next.
  • Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    Congrats!
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
  • JustFredJustFred Member Posts: 678 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Nicely done
    [h=2]"After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true." Spock[/h]
  • Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats! Always great to hear about a good exam experience. Take some time and absorb the victory! CCIE written wouldn't be a bad next step while you still have things fresh!
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi
  • f0rgiv3nf0rgiv3n Member Posts: 598 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Awesome! Congratulations!
  • instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    Many congrats!
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    A little late to the party, but congrats!
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    Congrats sir!
    2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.
  • iamme4evaiamme4eva Member Posts: 272
    Thanks all.

CCNA security is next for me. I think it's more relevant to the kind of work I do. Decision made....

Plus, I had a look at the CCIE syllabus, and there's firewalls and stuff in that, which I know about from work but not from any training. I think security would set me up nicely for that and maybe take a bit of pressure off a chapter or two of CCIE R&S. Even if it doesn't, it never hurts to diversify.
    Current objective: CCNA Security
    My blog: mybraindump.co.uk