Options

Sybex 4th Ed. Network+ study guide

magic19magic19 Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
Has anyone used this study guide for the test? I have been using the Network+ 2005, In Depth by Tamra Dean and its a really good book, but it goes in depth so much I can't stay focused when I study. I have about 4 years exerience as a Network Administrator and I just need something thats going to be straight to the point. I'll use the Net+ 2005 In Depth book for a refernce on things i don't understand.

Comments

• Options
    risingtechierisingtechie Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I can't say about that study guide specifically but personally, for my Net+ exam, (as well as my A+ and most of the MCSE 2k exams) I used Mike Myers Passport series as my sole sources of study. Like you, I found many of the other books out there to detailed to stay focused on what I needed to know to pass the exam and the stuff that would actually be more useful "in the field." The Passport series has gotten a bad wrap because it doesn't go into a lot of detail but that's the very reason I like them. I have found them very helpful to stay focused. The exam tips are right on target during test time. If they had a Passport book for the exam I'm currently trying to tackle, I'd use it as well but unfortunately, they don't.
  • Options
    SauronSauron Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I've been using this study guide (Sybex Net+ 4th Ed.) the last couple of weeks, and I've found it very helpful as well as a good read. I can't attest to how well it prepares one for the test, but I certainly feel like I've been learning the important parts by reading through it. Most everything so far is explained in-depth and in easy to understand terms. Unlike many other study guides, this one hasn't been a dry read at all. However, I'll be able to give a better opinion once I go take the test.
  • Options
    rbowmanrbowman Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have been using that sybex 4th ed as well and it is a pretty good read. The author uses dashes of humor here and there and its not a boing dry read and its very informative and interesting. It also lists the exam objectives at the beginning of each chapter and is well orginized. It also has a disc included that has the book in pdf format, 2 practice exams (and they are tough), flash cards and all the quizes at the end of each chapter so you can study on the go.

Im on chapter nine right now and I will be taking my Network+ test in about 2 weeks. I would recommend this book.

One book series that I would not recommend is the Thompson...especially for Microsoft certs because they are filled with lots of marketing BS. You feel like your reading the worlds biggerst brochure. I had to use Thompson all throughout college and it sucked. Stick with Sybex or the ExamCram2 series.
  • Options
    Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    My only resources for the Network+ were the technotes here, practices tests whereever i could find them and the Sybex book. I thought the book did a good job. I learned some new things and passed the exam using that book.