Options

What is the best way to prepare for a+ - Self-study or Training boot camp?

natebrownnatebrown Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am planning to get a+ certified but don't know how to go about it. Apart from books and online study material, should I also attend some training boot camp? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    Welcome to the forums.

You do not need to attend live training but if you learn better that way, you certainly can. A good first step is to pick up a book and start learning what you can from the book. If the topics aren't clear, you can look for other ways to learn such as a course at a training institution.
  • Options
    AHarrisonAHarrison Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    If you've had your current PC for a while and it's time for a new desktop PC, you can assemble a PC from the ground up. You'll learn a lot about component specifications just by researching and browsing parts on Newegg, what's common and uncommon, and the differences between hardware. Even if it's just window-shopping, you'll start viewing the hardware in context of one another instead of just memorizing what you're learning. It's like how you learn about different makes and models of vehicles (as well as a lot of other information) when you're looking for a new car.

Once you have something up and running, you can learn about your operating system (and other operating systems via virtual machines). You can play with the command prompt and learn about the administrative tools. It's fun. Best to be hands on because not only do you want the A+ certificate, you want to be able to retain and master the knowledge the certificate says you have.

BTW, I used the Mike Meyer's book and watched Professor Messer videos as well as messed around with my own PC.
  • Options
    XyroXyro Member Posts: 623
    Don't waste your $ on a boot camp. You can better use it to purchase study materials & your vouchers.
  • Options
    mishymishy Member Posts: 209 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If A+ is your first IT qualification, I would recommend self study because I believe if you are truly committed and interested in getting into the IT industry that alone should be enough to motivate you to read and prepare for the exam. Plus the challenges you will face in attaining A+ are something that you will need in the Industry like you have just done, asking for advice on forums and looking for better ways of learning plus the right books.

I bought my first A+ book after years of wanting to get into IT and it was 1200 pages but I read it in less than 1 and half weeks whilst doing a 48 hour job, the first time I opened the book and realised what I didnt know gave me the motivation to read from the first to the last page. I bought some additional books though to prepare me for the questions and help me understand some of the tricky questions in the exams but all in all it took me less 3 weeks to achieve my first A+.
  • Options
    natebrownnatebrown Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks Guys for your valuable suggestions. I will definitely consider each and every view when I get on with the preparation.
  • Options
    Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    A bootcamp for the A+ would be a huge waste. You just need a study guide, Mike Meyers videos, and a pc to tinker with and your good to go. I like the Mike Meyers videos since he really shows you on a live machine and not just pictures
  • Options
    ITcognitoITcognito Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    mishy wrote: »
    If A+ is your first IT qualification, I would recommend self study because I believe if you are truly committed and interested in getting into the IT industry that alone should be enough to motivate you to read and prepare for the exam. Plus the challenges you will face in attaining A+ are something that you will need in the Industry like you have just done, asking for advice on forums and looking for better ways of learning plus the right books.

I bought my first A+ book after years of wanting to get into IT and it was 1200 pages but I read it in less than 1 and half weeks whilst doing a 48 hour job, the first time I opened the book and realised what I didnt know gave me the motivation to read from the first to the last page. I bought some additional books though to prepare me for the questions and help me understand some of the tricky questions in the exams but all in all it took me less 3 weeks to achieve my first A+.

1.5 weeks holy crap that's discipline. You've motivated me to get back to reading lol.
  • Options
    fight4lovefight4love Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm training at a "boot camp" for my A+ and Network+. I would not call it a waste of time but a lot of the things I have learned I could of learned on my own. I like the hands on. In my situation the training is free. (They even pay for the vouchers xD)

I would say if your motivated like Mishy you will do fine. If you have money to spend then go for it if you think you lack discipline or you are new to computers.
  • Options
    ryanw4130ryanw4130 Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Look for an Intro to Microcomputers class at your local jr college. My classes were only once a week. You will also get some college credits, and it will prepare you for the test.

I passed the test. I took a class al my college.
    I read most of this book --> ([FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]CompTIA A+ Certification All-in-One Exam Guide, Seventh Edition, by Mike Meyers)[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]And I watched most of Professor Messer's free A+ training videos. Just google professor Messor.

Also If you feel like you are ready for the test, go take it! If you buy a 1 year voucher, I know you have at least 3 tries to take the test. If you fail the first time, you just schedule another test date, You don't have to pay for a new voucher.

Be careful getting deals on vouchers, They will only give you 1 month to complete the test. I believe that means you have to past the test before your voucher expires. I got 1, but luckily I was able to pass the test my first try.
    [/FONT]
  • Options
    Michael2Michael2 Member Posts: 305 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Self-study is fine for the A+. Save the money for future certification exams and for tools.