Options

"xxxxx xxxxx Group" program, legit? Shady? Scam?

conan_doyleconan_doyle Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Basically, you apply on their website (http://www.****.com/) if accepted they will train you for 3 months for CCNA, MSCE and MCP. They will then place you in a paid internship with a consulting company from your area for 1 year ($54,000/yr.), after which, helping you get a "real" job and they get 20% of your income for a year.

In terms of a deal, it seems reasonable. I can only assume the internship is paid by the company and not Tech Pros (you'd have to make 275,000+/yr. after the internship for Tech Pros to make profit if they were paying for it) so it must be a set list of companies willing to take trainees out of their program and pay them. Assuming it works out, the company gets a tech with 3 major certifications for only 54k/yr, Tech Pros gets 20% of your paycheck the year after which would more than cover the training.

In terms of opprotunity, however, it almost seems too good to be true. What if a candidate didn't succeed, the company would lose a lot of money?

They are registered with BBB, Irvine chamber of commerce, and a registered Microsoft partner.

Anyone have ANY insight into this program, or something similar? Is the deal reasonable, or is there a catch?

Comments

• Options
    supertechCETmasupertechCETma Member Posts: 377
    best check with the BBB. icon_cool.gif
    Electronic Technicians Association-International www.eta-i.org
    The Fiber Optic Association www.thefoa.org
    Home Acoustics Alliance® http://www.homeacoustics.net/
    Imaging Science Foundation http://www.imagingscience.com/
  • Options
    conan_doyleconan_doyle Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    As I said, they're registered with the BBB for about a year and a half...

They don't have any bad feedback, but that doesn't really prove anything. icon_confused.gif
  • Options
    drewm320drewm320 Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It really does look too good to be true. There's a saying about that kind of thing.

More seriously, it looks like they are making a bunch of wild promises ("Land a senior level WAN engineer positions with only a year's experience!!!!") to try and sell you their product. I would stay clear. You're gonna get burned.
  • Options
    Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    I also heard of them, and I applied. I figure, if they call, I'll get all the dirty details then. If it's crap, I just won't do it. I think they are very selective though, but if it does pan out to be good, I'll take all the help I can get....
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Basically, you apply on their website (http://www.****.com/) if accepted they will train you for 3 months for CCNA, MSCE and MCP. They will then place you in a paid internship with a consulting company from your area for 1 year ($54,000/yr.), after which, helping you get a "real" job and they get 20% of your income for a year.

I'd like to see someone in this area start at $54K with only some 'training' and some certs. Maybe larger cities, but $35-$50 depending on ones experience and actual knowledge for starting pay. Unless, the candidate can show some ways of adding to the bottom line other than maintaining work levels (i.e. bring in business), it would be pretty tough to take someone fresh from school/training/bootcamp with little or no field experience and pay them more then $50K.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yet another post about this company!!
    Stange how all the posters are newbies with only 1 or 2 posts.
    Bmsande,COTLG,Sshanbha and any of your other aliases if your training is so good you wouldnt need to resort to this underhanded advertising, word of mouth would be enough!
    Other posts on exactly the same topic and i didnt even try the search engine.

http://www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=13453
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14017
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$
  • Options
    TeKniquesTeKniques Member Posts: 1,262 ■■■■□□□□□□
    ed_the_lad wrote:
    Yet another post about this company!!
    Stange how all the posters are newbies with only 1 or 2 posts.
    Bmsande,COTLG,Sshanbha and any of your other aliases if your training is so good you wouldnt need to resort to this underhanded advertising, word of mouth would be enough!
    Other posts on exactly the same topic and i didnt even try the search engine.

http://www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=13453
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14017

Yeah I thought I had seen the same thing yesterday or the day before. icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Options
    Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    Ah crap! I wish I saw those other posts...I already gave them my info....oh well....I don't need them.
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    If I could remove the thread I would.

Perhaps Webmaster can take a peak and decided if should be removed as well as the others.

Anytime you see something multiple times, feel free to let a Mod or Admin know icon_exclaim.gif
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    I just moved this topic back from our removed topics archive. I don't like the shameless self-promotion as several companies discovered over the past 4 years, but this one is so sneaky it deserves some extra attention, in the form of a warning. Even though it was probably obvious to all who read the three similar topic.

"They" learned by now that simply saying "I passed using this great product that costs only $49,99" doesn't work. That's insulting our intelligence especially when it's coming from a first time poster who registered minutes before posting. Though it's hardly a new tactic, in this topic they question themselves, as if someone is taking a candid critical look at their own company and products. This may show some trust in themselves, but, I recommend anyone to stay away from any company that uses this type of shameless self-promotion. We and others offer dead cheap advertising at the fraction of the costs of creating a good product. In other words, if they cannot even afford that and need to 'spam', they surely cannot afford to create a good product. It's as simple as that. And as stupid as that.

A good product not only sells itself, but will eventually also promote itself. It will be mentioned by the people who used it to gain the knowledge and skills to pass their exams, not by a first-time poster who's new to the certification arena.

I haven't done any research on the company/offer that was mentioned in this topic, so I can't say it's a scam (apart from being spam) or not. A growing business on the Internet is 'website promotion', which basically means hiring someone else to promote your site. They have their own techniques which they do not disclose (else you wouldn't be paying them anymore). The basically get paid to drive traffic to a website and obviously many of them use spam and shameless 'self'-promotion as a method... Having said that, the site's name is no added to our forums word censor.