A+ certification 220-801 CPU questions?

juiceboxjuicebox Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
What are questions like for CPUs? I'm suffocating with the excessive amount of information I have to learn regarding CPUs. Like speeds, specific processor names, socket numbers, etc. I'm getting well around learning general socket numbers and which CPUs commonly go to which socket. Do I really have to memorize every single spec regarding every single CPUs?

Comments

• PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    General rule is if the material is listed on the objectives it may be fair game during your exam(s).

What material are you using to study at the moment? I would recommend Mike Meyers "All- in-one" to help get you prepared. Likewise, what sort of experience do you have? The material (particularly the hardware items) tend to stick with you longer if/when you honestly work with them. If you have very little or no experience, get some older hardware (usually very inexpensive) and get familiar with the various items. A local computer club may have members with a ton of the items you have an interest in.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • juiceboxjuicebox Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have 0 experience with computers, just entering the field of IT. I've studied for the A+ exam for a total of 4 months now. Ironically, I studied CCNA stuff before even knowing about different hardware components, so I have no problem with the networking stuff, and I want to eventually get my net+, sec+,then CCNA. I'm studying the Authorized Cert Guide Delux edition, also the Cram guide by David Prowse. Ive also been watching the videos by professor Messer.

I'm mainly overwhelmed by the different CPU names and their corresponding speeds that I have to learn. I don't know how to interpret them fully, so I can just look at a CPU's name and by the name could easily remember its specifications.
  • Michael2Michael2 Member Posts: 305 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Don't stress out. The questions won't be that hard and they're multiple choice anyway. They won't expect you to know all the different sockets and which CPU goes in each one. Just make sure you know the difference between an Intel socket and an AMD socket.
    Thanks Michael. I'm just a bit anxious because I don't have experience. I can learn pretty well, as long as I can have hands on; which I don't. Hopefully once I pass this and find a job in IT I can flourish well in it.
  • IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    @juicebox - you seem to be doing quite well in your preparations for the A+. The only thing you seem to be missing is a good set of practice questions. David Prowse has a set: CompTIA A+ 220-801 and 220-802 Authorized Practice Questions Exam Cram (5th Edition): David L. Prowse: 9780789749741: Amazon.com: Books and there is always MeasureUp and Transcender.

Darril also has a new book on the A+ that is getting great reviews: http://www.amazon.com/CompTIA-Training-Exam-220-801-220-802/dp/0735662681/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1373156923&sr=8-1&keywords=darril+gibson+a%2B
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
    Thank you Ivan. I've been doing/reading the practice exam book by Prowse, it sure helped me a lot! I've been mostly getting 70%-75% on his tests, but I sure did learn a lot from it! I'll check out Darril's book also. I'm doing perfect in the Networking parts of it, telling the port numbers blindfolded, wireless standards with an ease and so on.

It's mostly the CPU, RAM and RAID questions I'm weak at, but I'm working on them. I sometimes get questions about Windows commands and file systems and stuff, that make me wonder why they're there when the objectives don't mention them..

I love networking, and I can't wait until I'm done with A+ to finish my Network+, Security+, and CCNA. I love Cisco Systems and tinkering with their switches and routers. Which is pretty strange for someone who's never even installed his own operating system/PC before...
  • NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    juicebox wrote: »
    I love networking, and I can't wait until I'm done with A+ to finish my Network+, Security+, and CCNA. I love Cisco Systems and tinkering with their switches and routers. Which is pretty strange for someone who's never even installed his own operating system/PC before...
    Not at all. I love networking, and like most of my colleagues, I call IT when my PC breaks. I have no interest in OS installations. From the few times I've done that, it tends to involve spending 30-60 minutes twiddling one's thumbs. ;)
    I enjoy the stuff I'm learning for A+ because I'm leaping from Fred Flintstones to the Jetsons. I sure learned a lot from how truly computers operate with the Morse code-like on and off of electrical and optical pulses to complex Virtualization and all that. The thing that bothers me is having to learn abstract mind-taxing knowledge where I could be learning just from experience rather than from memorization. I would love to have full control over every computer and gadget in my household and make automation possible in my ambient, but I would be able to accomplish all of that from hands-on experience, rather than remembering CPU frequenciesXmultiplier stuff for specific motherboards and CPUs, I think.

I have a lot of respect for people in IT and I always look up to them and their wisdom. Most of the ones I've met or read/heard about have a good conscience and are very helpful. Like you guys.
  • Renzo3188Renzo3188 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Good thing I read this thread, I was about to buy the expensive transcender practice exams but I will buy the David Prowse practice exams instead!
  • BryzeyBryzey Member Posts: 260
    I think about it like this. The exam objectives might say hardware has a weight of x percent. Based on this you might run into only one or 2 questions in regards to processors on the exam. They also might have easy enough incorrect answers that you will be able to figure out..

I would focus on learning the material and applying it to an old pc as opposed to memorising tables.
  • Snow.brosSnow.bros Member Posts: 832 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If you see it in the exam objectives you should probably read all the specs, but honestly i don't really remember coming across a question about all those specs you have mentioned but i suggest you check out the objectives for exam and good luck!!!
  • DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    The good news is that CompTIA narrowed down the objectives in the 800 series exams for CPUs so you really don't have to remember as much as you might have in previous versions of A+

Here are some tidbits on CPUs that you need to know:

Socket types:
    Intel: 775, 1155, 1156, and 1366. These are often prefixed with LGA (such as LGA 775, LGA 1155, and so on) but not always.
    AMD: 940, AM2, AM2+, AM3, AM3+, FM1, F. Except for the 940, all of these have letters in them.

Characteristics:
    Cores. Understand that a single CPU can have multiple cores and each acts as a separate processor.
    Hyperthreading. Understand that only Intel uses Hyper-Threading. It makes each core appear to the operating system as two cores. For example, a dual-core CPU with Hyper-Threading appears as four cores.

I wouldn't worry too much about the speeds and cache sizes. I think CompTIA has begun to realize these are just too dynamic to test on.

Cooling:
    Make sure you know about cooling methods including the purpose of a heat sink, fans, and thermal paste, and understanding liquid-based cooling works.

Hope this helps.