Best certification for a joat

hj84hj84 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello all, I'm wondering what would be the best certification for someone who stuck in a tipycal joat SMB roles to break through in more advanced / specialized / enterprise role - MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSE: Server Infrastructure, VCAP:DCA, VCAP:DCD, RHCE?
All thoughts, comments and suggestions are very welcome!

Comments

• chanakyajupudichanakyajupudi Member Posts: 712
    Depends on what your present domain or role is. They are all of different domains.
    Work In Progress - RHCA [ ] Certified Cloud Security Professional [ ] GMON/GWAPT if Work Study is accepted [ ]
    http://adarsh.amazonwebservices.ninja

• hj84hj84 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Well, being a jack of all trades in small company means that I have to cover all the roles, I can go from setting up an Exchange to fixing a printer to troubleshooting a manager's iPhone to managing the vSphere and zoning a switch in one day, but the problem is that all my knowledge and experience are mile wide, but an inch deep. So that's why I'm trying to find a path a more focused and professional role.
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    I think certifications like PMP, ITIL foundation, CISSP make you a well rounded professional. Having skills and knowledge of projects management, IT service management, and Information security gives you an edge for higher level positions.

Skills in Storage, Backup, and Virtualisation are very important. If you can get vendor certs/training in these areas then definitely go for it.
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    What do you want to specialize in? Do you want to be super specialized/expert in one specific area, or do you want to just eliminate some of the other noise like working with phones... still have variety but be spread less thin?
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Microsoft server certification is always nice to have. I think that would be number one.
  • bigdogzbigdogz Member Posts: 881 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Just follow your passion whether it is in virtualization (you may need to know more than one OS), networking, or InfoSec. If you want to start to specialize you may want to go for the 1st level certifications in that realm.
  • About7NarwhalAbout7Narwhal Member Posts: 761
    What the hell is a joat?
  • srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    What the hell is a joat?

Jack of all Trades
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • olaHaloolaHalo Member Posts: 748 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Just get the most desired certs in all of the "main" domains.
    Get some MS server certs, Cisco certs, Security certs, and visualization certs.