Hi - CCNA: Security here I go

iamme4evaiamme4eva Member Posts: 272
Hey,

Just thought I'd introduce myself to a new section of the forum.

I passed my CCNP: R&S last week, and found myself spending a weekend with nothing to read, which felt weird when the Mrs was busy and I had ten minutes here and there to spare!

I also got asked about IDS today ("You're a CCNP, you must know about all that stuff"), and looked blankly on. I was wondering which certification I wanted to do next, but that has made up my mind.

Book-wise, I'm not sure whether to buy the OCG or the FLG, any suggestions? I've looked through here and some other reviews but they all seem a little inconclusive. I'm probably swaying towards the OCG at the moment.

Anyway, no doubt I'll be the one asking the daft questions over the next few weeks / months, so hopefully see you around!

Nick.
Current objective: CCNA Security
My blog: mybraindump.co.uk

Comments

• Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    I'd go with the ocg. Good stuff. Also, you are going to see some overlap between CCNA:S and CCNP R&S so it won't be too hard to achieve.
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
  • IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I started to study for the CCNA:Sec then realized that a lot of the topics were covered in the CCNP material so I decided to pursue the CCNP instead. Afterwards I will return to CCNP:Sec.
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
  • iamme4evaiamme4eva Member Posts: 272
    My plan is to do CCNP: Sec. But the CCNA: Sec is a pre-req, so I need to do that first. I did the CCNP first, so a lot of the stuff I already know.

Now if only I could find my motivation...I've done next to nothing this week.
  • IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    @iamme4eva - in the interim you could install CCP, connect to a 7200 router in GNS3 using an MS loopback adapter and play around with the interface - it's a big part of the exam.
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
    Sounds like a plan, I'll do that.

For anyone that's interested, TrainSignal have a good walkthrough on installing CCP - How to install Cisco Configuration Professional. Well, it looks like a good walkthrough - I haven't tried it yet!
  • Arod95Arod95 Member Posts: 216 ■■■□□□□□□□
    @iamme4eva just wondering since I'm going to start studying for this in December what do you mean by ocg and flg?
    OCG - Official Certification Guide
    FLG - Foundation Learning Guide.

They are both official Cisco books, but written by different authors in different styles.

I went for the OCG in the end, it turned up two days ago.
    Alright thats what I figured. I got the OCG book library for the ccna. Can`t what to start reading it. Have you ever used an OCG book before if so how good was it?
  • RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    The Security OCG isn't bad at all, sorry I can't say the same for the CCNP Route OCG, to date that is the worst pile of crap and fluff I have ever read. It made me want to gargle Drano.
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
    I used the OCG's for CCNA and also for CCNP.

I found them all to be good, except the SWITCH book, which had a lot of information missing. I used CCNP SWITCH Simplified as a supplement. I found the route OCG to be ok, but I don't rely on only books. I use the books as a pointer for what to google - I spend a lot of time reading various articles on the internet, both official and blog-type, to reinforce what I'm learning.
    Ok just wanted to know if they were good, because I'm using those books to start me off, and i'll probably finish by mid august. Then when I get back to my school they'll have me setup for the Cisco academy classes I get them for free. So I'll use it as a refresher, and to get the discount off the test.
  • YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Don't you love that? "You're a CCNP, you must know [insert any device with a NIC here]" - additionally the art of intrusion detection cannot be completely covered by any one Cisco certification IMO. From what I remember of CCNA: Sec they introduce you to the GUI and explain a few of the detection engines at a high level; mentioning multiple times the real nitty-gritty of how Cisco IDS functions won't be covered until CCNP: Sec: IPS. Not to say it isn't a good start, CCNA: Sec was a fun track.

I used OCG by Keith Barker in combination with the CBT Nuggets videos - also by Keith Barker. It's a good match and is everything one needs to complete the certification.
    Yeah, I seem to be the buzz word at work at the moment. Anything that has an IP address is my bag - "You're a CCNP!".

I think CCNA: Sec will be a good intro for me. Then I'll probably do the NP:Sec.