Passed CEH

ZachBZachB Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
Passed my CEH v7 a couple weeks ago. Used the Walker book. It was pretty easy overall, but I'd already passed Security+ and was familiar with some of the tools already.

I had some guy from EC-Council e-mail me and ask for my Eval code "provided during the test" - anyone else get that? No idea what an Eval code is, so I just told them I didn't know what they were talking about. How does one go about getting a transcript for this cert? I'd like to use it for the Security+ CE credits.
Currently working on:
CISSP
MSFT 70-417
CCNA

Comments

• jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congratulations on the pass!!

I keep thinking that this test will be a little difficult because of all the tools that has to be learned.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • ZachBZachB Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□

I keep thinking that this test will be a little difficult because of all the tools that has to be learned.

Thanks! I over-studied I believe. I have a lab ESXi server with a bunch of VM's. I set up a dedicated Linux and Windows VM with the necessary utilities and went at it.

Some of the test questions are poorly worded and others painfully obvious what the answer is.
    Currently working on:
    CISSP
    MSFT 70-417
    CCNA
  • chanakyajupudichanakyajupudi Member Posts: 712
    Congratulations on the pass ! icon_cheers.gif
    Work In Progress - RHCA [ ] Certified Cloud Security Professional [ ] GMON/GWAPT if Work Study is accepted [ ]
    http://adarsh.amazonwebservices.ninja

• nestechnestech Member Posts: 74 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulations on your exam...

I will taking this exam next...
  • Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    Congrats!
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
  • coffeeluvrcoffeeluvr Member Posts: 734 ■■■■■□□□□□
    "Something feels funny, I must be thinking too hard. - Pooh"
  • SecurityFreakSecurityFreak Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I too passed CEHv8 with 95.2%
  • coffeeluvrcoffeeluvr Member Posts: 734 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I too passed CEHv8 with 95.2%

Congratulations on the pass!
    "Something feels funny, I must be thinking too hard. - Pooh"
    Thanks guys! Got an e-mail last night saying my welcome kit and certificate was on the way.
    Currently working on:
    CISSP
    MSFT 70-417
    CCNA
  • TripleHexTripleHex Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    How much would you guys say using the "tools" comes into play on the exam compared to theory?

Also congrats on the pass.

Anyone know how different v8 is from v7 from actual experience?

Thanks
  • horusthesunhorusthesun Member Posts: 289
    I know I am late to the game ....... nevertheless Congrats
  • whatthehellwhatthehell Member Posts: 920
    Congratz!
    I assume that this is the book you are speaking of?
    CEH Certified Ethical Hacker All-in-One Exam Guide: Matt Walker: 9780071772297: Amazon.com: Books

Any other recommended books?
    2017 Goals:
    [ ] Security + [ ] 74-409 [ ] CEH
    Future Goals:
    TBD
    Congratz!
    CEH Certified Ethical Hacker All-in-One Exam Guide: Matt Walker: 9780071772297: Amazon.com: Books

Correct, that is the one I used. I also used the LearnSmart practice exam which was harder than the actual test.
    Currently working on:
    CISSP
    MSFT 70-417
    CCNA
  • jvrlopezjvrlopez Member Posts: 913 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congratz!

The CEH AIO practice questions from Walker are also good but I wouldn't recommend paying the MSRP listed on the back ($30). I found a used (but not marked up) copy on eBay for $10. Its actually indepedent of the AIO book (meaning nothing is recycled...even the chapter introductions are new) and there are plenty of questions that cover every aspect of every domain.

I'd slightly recommend the official review guide from EC-Council if you can find it for less (or used)...its pretty concise (some chapters are around 10 pages) and written in the context that you will be attending class alongside reading it. Some of the exercises are more along the line of "download this program and play around" as opposed to how the AIO Walker book takes you step by step through certain tools' functions. It does however include a lengthy practice test in the back (organized by chapter) as well as access to another one online.

I read the chapter in the official review guide (since it is quick and light reading), make a few notes or go over something I'm not familiar or comfortable with, mess around with a few practice questions re: the subject, and then when I feel ready, dive into the Walker AIO CEH book to compound and elaborate upon those studies as well as repeating the same steps.
    And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna
  • DAVIS NGUYENDAVIS NGUYEN Member Posts: 1,472 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulations on the pass ! icon_cheers.gif
  • Khaos1911Khaos1911 Member Posts: 366
    jvrlopez wrote: »
    The CEH AIO practice questions from Walker are also good but I wouldn't recommend paying the MSRP listed on the back ($30). I found a used (but not marked up) copy on eBay for $10. Its actually indepedent of the AIO book (meaning nothing is recycled...even the chapter introductions are new) and there are plenty of questions that cover every aspect of every domain.

I'd slightly recommend the official review guide from EC-Council if you can find it for less (or used)...its pretty concise (some chapters are around 10 pages) and written in the context that you will be attending class alongside reading it. Some of the exercises are more along the line of "download this program and play around" as opposed to how the AIO Walker book takes you step by step through certain tools' functions. It does however include a lengthy practice test in the back (organized by chapter) as well as access to another one online.

I read the chapter in the official review guide (since it is quick and light reading), make a few notes or go over something I'm not familiar or comfortable with, mess around with a few practice questions re: the subject, and then when I feel ready, dive into the Walker AIO CEH book to compound and elaborate upon those studies as well as repeating the same steps.

I just want to say Kudos to jvrlopez on his reply. There are so many threads on this site where people jut say "I passed XYZ" and never go into detail about what study methods they used, or what tools they have practiced with. I'm currently studying for CEH, hoping to take version 7 before it's obsolete (anybody know when that date is?) and am looking for as many tips and as much advice about studying/how to prepare as I can find. Thanks again for a reply that actually contains substance, jvrlopez.
  • dbrinkdbrink Member Posts: 180
    CEH v7 is available until Oct. 31, 2013 according to one of the support people.
    Currently Reading: Learn Python The Hard Way
    http://defendyoursystems.blogspot.com/
  • Khaos1911Khaos1911 Member Posts: 366
    Thanks for the info, dbrink!
  • HumbeHumbe Member Posts: 202
    Congrats !

I've been putting off this exam for quite a bit since I was studying for the ISSAP but I might just get it out of the way before the end of the year.
  • NetivNetiv Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    How did you know that you were ready for the exam? icon_rolleyes.gif