Any need for Network+ w/ CCNA???

skanejskanej Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
I was just wondering, would I be wasting my time and $$$ going after a Network+ cert if I plan on attaining the CCNA cert in a few months (in classes now)???

Would it impress employers- you know with the "list" of certs and all (noticing that I have none so far)??? Or should I have started w/ the Network+ first??? (having had NO IT experience at all!)

Comments

• ja5983ja5983 Member Posts: 129
    The network+ is always good to have and will give you some info on non-cisco hardware that you didnt get from the CCNA (though not much). Id say if you already got your ccna, go get a CompTIA voucher and study for a few days and get yourself another free cert.
    Josh
    A+, Network+, Server+, Security+, TICSA, CCNA, MCSA, AS Network Engineering
  • -prophet--prophet- Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
    On the study side of things, the Network+ has really helped me prepare for CCNA. I had the same question as you in the beginning and am happy I chose to start with Net+. It taught me a lot about the basics of networking and got me in the rhythm for study, oh, plenty of motivation to continue too!

As for the market viability, Net+ is another string to your bow but I must admit I haven't seen a job advertisement asking for a Net+ certified person (in my area) but plenty with CCNA.

Cheers,
    Prophet
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    skanej wrote:
    Would it impress employers- you know with the "list" of certs and all (noticing that I have none so far)??? Or should I have started w/ the Network+ first??? (having had NO IT experience at all!)
    With my expierience, I would have felt silly putting the Network+ on my resume by itself.... so I skipped it. But that doesn't mean someday I won't take the CompTIA exams (probably involving a dare and drinking :D ).

Now is the perfect time to take the Network+

If you took it after the CCNA, then it could look like you are "padding" your resume.... which still wouldn't be bad since you are trying to break into the IT industry.

Taking it before the CCNA shows "progress" in the career you haven't started yet. It shows that you are serious about getting into IT. It shows dedication. It shows motivation. It shows that you can learn (which is what you spend a lot of time doing in good entry level jobs that lead to careers).

And yeah -- it puts a pair of pliers in your toolbox to go with that adujustable wrench that the CCNA will give you (the A+ would be the screwdriver). And yes -- its another notch on your resume that is IT related.

Plus it would be good practice for taking certification exams. You could find out if you get pre-test jitters.... and its probably easier to work through the first test jitters with the Net+ rather than the CCNA.

Worth getting - YES! icon_thumright.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!