CCNP tools required to get the Certification ??

samuel.lao85samuel.lao85 Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi mates,

I would like to know, if just reading the "CCNP Routing and Switching Official Certification Library" will be enough for my CCNP ?

I read some posts about buying some equipments for home labs. I have a limited budget since I'm paying my own certification, but would like to hear opinions about this topic.

Bye, and good luck with your goals !!!

Comments

• NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I would like to know, if just reading the "CCNP Routing and Switching Official Certification Library" will be enough for my CCNP ?
    No. Passing requires hands-on practice, whether via GNS3 (free) or real equipment (rental or purchase). Also, Cisco recommends one year of R&S experience in the field before earning your CCNP--a zero-experience CCNP has little value.

Don't feel you have to spend much money, but you do need to practice. :)
  • iamme4evaiamme4eva Member Posts: 272
    The Official Certification Guide for SWITCH wasn't enough for me. I bought CCNP Switch Simplified to supplement it - it's next to nothing if you can get the Kindle version. The other two books were good though.

As NetworkVeteran said, you need hands on. For route you can do this with GNS3 - that said, if you've never worked around routers and switches before, learning the theory and labbing virtually is all good, but you need to know things like where the console cable plugs in, etc! For switch you either need to do online rack rentals, or have some real kit - GNS3 won't do it.

To give you an idea, I'm paying for everything myself too. I keep an eye on eBay (UK) for any last minute bargain deals. I've had routers for as little as 99p (collection only)! I've never actually added it up, but I reckon my lab probably only cost me about £400 ish, over the last 3 years. And that's 6 routers, a PIX firewall, 2 layer 2 switches, 2 layer 3 switches, and 4 Dell servers. Plus I've got serial cables, ethernet cables, WIC cards, NM cards, etc. If you can bag some bargains on eBay, it's not as expensive as you might think.

That said, I still find myself firing up GNS3 if I want to check something out!
    Current objective: CCNA Security
    My blog: mybraindump.co.uk
  • FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    GNS3 is a good alternative if you are on a budget. While you are going through your readings be sure to lab each topic so you get a good grasp on it. Especially if you don't understand something. Labbing it usually clears up some confusion.
  • samuel.lao85samuel.lao85 Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for your advices...I will take them into account.