Passed Security+ SY0-301!!!!

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior MemberPosts: 0 ■■□□□□□□□□
Took my Security+ on Saturday and knocked it out of the park!!!! The simulation questions were mostly straight forward but some that were confusing based on wording and what they asked for, in my opinion seemed to be "beta" simulation questions. If I would have looked at 1 area more in depth, I wish I would have looked more into risk management, analysis, etc. Anywho, I passed:D now it's time for some good old R&R. Now that my vender neutrals are done (to my standards), this is the point in my IT career when I must choose between Cisco or Microsoft. I see the benefits of both. I was told by some network admins who I respect to take certs in both vendors based on demand/interests. I am planning to take the CCNA within the next year or so or the 70-640 Active Directory. Can anyone shed some light? I'm only a college student and need some guidance. Thanks!!

What I used to study:
Darril Gibson SY0-301 guide
Darril Gibson Security+ Android App
Professor Messer videos SY0-301
Security+ eTestPrep Sybex

Comments

• DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    Congrats on the pass.

Between routers and servers, what appeals to you more? The CCNA is more than just routers, and 70-640 is more than just servers, but if you're drawn to one or the other more, that's what you should pursue.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have more experience with routers but I have all of a sudden gained a fascination for servers especially with AD since my new IT job I have gotten some hands on experience with AD. I still have an interest in router configuration I am thinking as for my first step away from vendor neutral to vendor specific (Job market/demands etc.)
  • Arod95Arod95 Member Posts: 216 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If you can't choose between routers or servers then why not do both? I planned to go down both routes, and I finished my server route for now till I gain actual work experience, and I just started the router path with CCNA. From what I'm experiencing from both routes is I feel as though the server route is easier, because most troubleshooting, and configuring can all be done in the GUI while routers is mostly commands. Yes for MCSA they do test you on commands but it is nothing compared to what I have heard from how the CCNA exam test you. Can't speak for Juniper though. CCNA might be easier for you though, because you have experience in Routers plus Net+ helps you with the understand of how everything works, but CCNA will go into the same theory as net+ but in more depth. Good luck with whatever path you choose!
  • shart1971shart1971 Member Posts: 91 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass.
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on pass!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • j1mggj1mgg Member Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I believe the best thing to do would to be go with what you are doing in your day to day work, or at least what the next job you are going to be working in.

In your day to day work includes creating users in AD and general support(not sure what your job is) then you will be best doing some of the MS exams, if your day job is patching and doing more network orientated work then you will pick up the ccna better. It will always be more difficult to do an exam if you are doing absolutely nothing related to it in day to day working life. I believe these exams are to really certify what you know rather than teach you a new subject, I know most people don't use them this way including myself.