Options

Passed JNCIA-JunOS

ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
Kind of did this on a lark, but I've been curious about JunOS for a while. Never touched a Juniper device in my life, but I'm gonna be job hunting soon, so being somewhat familiar with the OS can't be a bad thing.

Basically just studied from the pdfs, threw together a lab in GNS3 and watched the CBT Nugget videos. I think I spent more time getting Olive working in GNS3 than I did in actual lab time. icon_lol.gif

That 50% off voucher is really nice, especially since it's basically a gimme.

I would describe JNCIA as CCENT + Basic QoS - switching - IP services.

It's not a particularly hard test, although I had to guess more than I would like to. Really easy to narrow it down if you've played around with the CLI at all in most cases. Judging by my score, I got the vast majority of my guesses right. The passing score is only 66%, so it seems like they really want people to get this cert easy and cheap.
Currently reading:
IPSec VPN Design 44%
Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%

Comments

• Options
    down77down77 Member Posts: 1,009
    Congrats on the pass! It never hurts to know both Cisco and Juniper. With your background in R&S I would imagine it was more of a refresher on how Juniper implements the technologies with some cross training on the cli!
    CCIE Sec: Starting Nov 11
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Congrats! My thoughts on the exam were pretty much the same. It gets a little more difficult in the IS/IP level obviously, but still not as difficult as the equivalent level Cisco exams IMO.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Well done!
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • Options
    AldurAldur Member Posts: 1,460
    congrats
    "Bribe is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. The X makes it sound cool."

-Bender
  • Options
    brombulecbrombulec Member Posts: 186 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I also have an JNCIA - the next target is S-ENT or S-SEC. 92% on exam - is this good or average score?
  • Options
    spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 890 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I think I spent more time getting Olive working in GNS3 than I did in actual lab time. icon_lol.gif

Congrats on your latest certification, Z. I'm in a lull, so I plan on pursuing this (hopefully take the exam next week after studying in the weekend).

From what I've seen, it seems arcane to get things working in QEMU, etc. I was able to find a pre-baked image for JUNOS 12. All I had to do was just add the image, wait forever for it to boot up and it worked pretty straight forward.

I'm thinking of just doing JNCIA and the 1st ENT exam.