Question for people who already have their CISSP

HHHTheGameHHHTheGame Member Posts: 75 ■■□□□□□□□□
Can you tell me how the CPE's work? More specifically, how did YOU obtain your 120 credits?

Even more specifically, what ways are there, besides spending thousands of dollars going to seminars, to get your 120 CPE?

Comments

• keatronkeatron Member Posts: 1,213 ■■■■■■□□□□
    HHHTheGame wrote:
    Can you tell me how the CPE's work? More specifically, how did YOU obtain your 120 credits?

Even more specifically, what ways are there, besides spending thousands of dollars going to seminars, to get your 120 CPE?

Here are the ways to gain CPE's

Attending educational courses or seminars
    Attending security conferences
    Being a member of an association chapter and attending meetings
    Listening to vendor presentations
    Completing university/college courses
    Providing security training
    Publishing security articles or books
    Serving on industry boards
    Self-study
    Completing volunteer work, including serving on (ISC)² volunteer committees

I personally have gained most of mine from providing training, and being on boards. In short, you don't have to spend thousands to gain them.
  • seuss_ssuesseuss_ssues Member Posts: 629
    Granted i do not have a SSCP or CISSP but i will soon enough. How much time does it generally take for the upkeep.

So far in my cert journey i have only chosen certs that i do not have to renew or have any type of upkeep. I did that for the sole purpose that i will have them for life. If later on i do get into something like cisco then so be it, i will have time to keep it up.
    From what I hear, most people get in trouble when they wait until the last 2 months of their 3 year cycle to try and finish up the CPE requirements. How much time you take up depends really on what methods you choose for obtaining the CPE credits. Some people proctor exams, while others choose to attend training seminars, awareness seminars, some vendor briefings (the RSA conferences are very well put together and very informative). You might even do some things on a regular basis anyway which could count some toward the requirements. Check with ISC2 on any activity you think might qualify.
  • HHHTheGameHHHTheGame Member Posts: 75 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thank you very much for the info!
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    I just re-upped a subscription to a free security magazine and I noticed on the form that just subscribing awards five (ISC)2 CPEs.

There must be a web site somewhere that's keeping track of all the nickel-and-dime ways to pick up (ISC)2 CPEs.
    THAT would be a great site to have bookmarked!
    jdmurray wrote:
    I just re-upped a subscription to a free security magazine and I noticed on the form that just subscribing awards five (ISC)2 CPEs.

There must be a web site somewhere that's keeping track of all the nickel-and-dime ways to pick up (ISC)2 CPEs.

Once you pass the CISSP and are awarded the CISSP certification, you'll be given a secure login to isc2.org. From there you keep track of your own CPE's and this is also where you submit them. In addition to that, there is also a comprehensive list of things/activities that count. JD, I'll bet your free subscription was one of these....

The (ISC)² Journal (qualifies as a magazine subscription)
    Information Security Magazine
    InfoSecurityToday Magazine

These are a few of the ones that count. The publishers of these magazines will do the submission for you (they are trusted CPE providers, so their word is good enough without any other required proof. Even a completed review of certain books will count for up to 5 CPE's.

Here are some more ways to earn CPE's.

CISSPs earn 1 CPE credit for each hour of attendance at a training course or educational seminar.

CISSPs earn 1 CPE credit for each hour of attendance at a conference. Security conferences qualify as Group “A” CPEs. Other educational conferences qualify as Group “B” CPEs.

CISSPs can earn up to 40 CPE credits per year of service on the boards of professional security organizations. Credits will be granted based on the CISSP's level of contribution, as determined by the Board of the relevant organization.

CPE credits will be given for those performing volunteer work on behalf of
    (ISC)², either serving as a Board member, committee member, item writing contributor, or other type of approved volunteer activity. The (ISC)² Board of Directors will determine the amount of CPE credits earned for such activity and will submit credits on behalf of the CISSP.

CPE credits will be given to those performing information security volunteer work for government, public sector, and other charitable organizations. CISSPs earn 1 CPE credit for each hour of volunteer work. You must obtain and retain signed confirmation of the number of hours of volunteer work on the organization’s letterhead.

CISSPs earn CPE credits for the “initial” preparation of courseware, lectures, or training material. The time spent preparing materials for each hour of presentation is valued at 4 CPE credits (e.g., a one hour presentation = 4 CPE’s, a two hour presentation = 8 CPE’s).

CISSPs are not granted CPEs for time spent presenting the course, lecture or training.

CISSPs earn CPE credits for contributing original work to the professional corpus. First publication of a security-related article will earn the author(s) 10 CPE credits. Publication of a security-related book will earn 40 CPE credits.

There are more ways to earn CPE's as well. Most of mine come from training and being an ISC2 affiliate and education provider. Also we're a trusted CPE provider, so this gives me 40 CPE's also.

If it wasn't already confusing enough. With my concentrations (ISSMP and ISSEP end of March), I'll have to submit those seperately and they have to be directly related to the domains of the concentration!!

Currently there are only 2 ways to submit CPE's. Online form, or have a Trusted CPE provider (like my company for example) submit them for you.
    Now THAT was a ton of great information!!! Thanks a lot!!!
  • darkuserdarkuser Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    you also have the 3 full years to get the 120 cpe's.
    I'm on my second 3 year cycle.

class b's are easy to optain and more class a are required.

you can also submit 1 it book per year for 5 (class b) cpe's each.
    rm -rf /
    I just noticed at the TICSA web site they have webinars that count towards TICSA and CISSP CPEs.

https://ticsa.trusecure.com/risk_briefings.shtml
  • AbhiramiAbhirami Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi,

I received my cissp certification this month. I noticed in the cpe guidelines that self stidy, computer based training and webcasts qualify for CPE. I searched for webcasts online and computerworld.com and security.itworld.com have hosted many security related webcasts.

I want to know whether the webcasts I view on these sites would qualify for CPE credits because they donot issue any certificate or mail confirming that I have seen the webcast. I have taken a screen shot of the webcast as it was in progess, will that suffice? Kindly advise.

I also want to know if annual subscription to any security magazine would qualify for CPE or should I subscribe only to an approved magazine.

Thanks.
    Unless the webcast or magazine subscription specifically states that it qualifies for (ISC)2 CPE credits, I would assume that it didn't.
    Thanks for the prompt reply. Can you please share with us the website/ link you used for subscribing to the free security magazine?

I understand that reading a security book will also help in earning 5 credits. How do I identify whether a particular security book is eligible for CPE or not?

You had mentioned earlier that there are recorded seminars on the TICSA site. I visited the website using the link you had given. I noticed that only seminars till April 2005 have been posted. Will the old seminars also count towards CPE? Kindly throw light on this.

Thanks again.
    I think SC Magazine (http://www.scmagazine.com/) gives CPEs for subscriptions. You will have to contact the TICSA people to find out information about their webcasts. And I don't think that simply reading a book will earn you CPEs, unless it is read as part of attending an approved training course. The (ISC)2 web site should have more information.
    Thanks you very much.
    reading a book is acceptable

i submit 1 cisco book per year good for 5 "B" cpe's
    rm -rf /
    For things such as webcasts, you'll come out better by just submitting it and see if it's approved. You might be asked to provide more information about it or something along those lines.
    Read Information Security Book/Subscribe to an Information Security Magazine Guidelines

Reading an information security book or subscribing to an information security magazine will be worth 5 CPE credits. Credit in this category will be limited to one book per year and one magazine subscription per year for a total of 10 CPEs per year.

Constituent should provide and retain "proof-of-possession" of the book and/or magazine by submitting the appropriate information in electronic form when completing the CPE submission form. This proof should include Title, Author (book)/Publisher (magazine), and ISBN number (book only) at a minimum. If audited, CISSP should provide proof of possession, such as the actual book, a sales receipt, invoice, library record, copy of magazine subscription form, etc.

If you subscribe to one of the following magazines, the magazine, as a Trusted CPE Provider, will automatically submit the five CPEs to (ISC)² on your behalf:

The (ISC)² Journal (qualifies as a magazine subscription)
    Information Security Magazine
    InfoSecurityToday Magazine

These CPEs will be submitted by the magazine publisher and may not be added by the constituent. If you subscribe to other information security magazines, you must submit your CPEs through the (ISC)² Website.

Completion of and submission of an original book review to (ISC)² will be worth an additional 5 CPE credits, and will constitute sufficient proof, even in the absence of other proof.

Close Window
    rm -rf /
    Self-Study, Computer-Based Training (CBT), Web Cast Guidelines

Self-Study, Computer-Based Training (CBT) and/or Web Casts credits can be earned by completing a self-study program, computer-based training, or a Web Cast.

Study material and validated documentation of completion, such as a certificate or diploma, must be retained for auditing purposes. For Web Casts, you will want to retain a screen shot with the Web Cast details or any email from the Web Cast provider.

The Web Cast provider or course developer will sometimes supply the stated time required to complete a course. If not, use your best judgment to determine the appropriate number of hours/CPEs for these activities, where one hour = one CPE.

Close Window
    rm -rf /