login banner

p1xelsp1xels Member Posts: 114 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi
What should be the answer to the following question and WHY?

The following command was pasted into config mode when a user was telnetted into a Cisco switch:
banner login this is the login banner

Which of the following are true about what occurs the next time a user logs in from the console?

a.No banner is displayed
b.The banner text "his is" is displayed.
c.The banner text "this is the login banner" is displayed.
d.The banner text "Login banner configured,no text defined" is displayed.

Why should b be the answer?? I cant understand how 't' can be a delimiter here? Since 't' is attached with the 'his' in the word 'this'!

Comments

• theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The first character becomes the delimiter. So, the banner text would be everything after that character until the same character appears again. Since no other delimiter was used (Hashtags are common and unlikely to appear in the banner text, unless you're including Twitter/Instagram hastags) It would be everything between the first and second 't', which is "his is ". I'm not sure, but the ending whitespace may also be removed. A tilde (~) should also work:

~This is the Login Banner~

BTW, I've seen this question (word for word) before. Boson?
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
  • FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    banner login this is the login banner
    As stated above the "t" is the delimiter. Basically the text between the two delimiter characters becomes the banner.
  • p1xelsp1xels Member Posts: 114 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi Theodoxa,
    It is from Odom book.But tell me does it not cares for whitespace? Because there is no space after the 't' in the word "this".
    So it seems it doesn't care for spaces and takes even the first character of a word ?
    Please confirm ,does it takes letters which are part of a word?
  • pamccabepamccabe Member Posts: 315 ■■■□□□□□□□
    No, it doesn't care for spaces. The syntax of the command is 'banner login # message #', however, there doesn't need to be a space between # and your message. You can put 'banner login #Knowledge is Power#'. You don't even have to use #. You can use any letter, however, you will run into the situation that your question is trying to shed some light on. If you use 'banner login g Knowledge is Power g', then the banner will consider 'g' to be the delimiting character. (the character following the command is automatically considered the delimiting character) It will then display Knowled and that is it. The delimiting character tells the banner login command to start listening and to stop listening. When it hears the delimiting character, it listens, when it hears it again, it stops.

Hope that makes sense.
    Hi
    I tried creating banner login in a 2950-24 switch in packet tracer 5.3.3 but it is giving error -
    Switch(config)#banner login x
    ^
    % Invalid input detected at '^' marker.
    Does packet tracer dont support login banner or it is only supported in routers?
  • Hatch1921Hatch1921 Member Posts: 257 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Cisco Networking: Banner Configuration
    By Edward Tetz from Cisco Networking All-in-One For Dummies
    A banner is a message presented to a user who is using the Cisco switch. The type of banner you configured for use determines when this message is shown. You can configure three main types of banners on your Cisco switch, as shown here:

Message of the Day (MOTD): This type of logon message has been around for a long time on Unix and mainframe systems. The idea of the message is to display a temporary notice to users, such as issues with system availability.

However, because the message displays when a user connects to the device prior to login, most network administrators are now using it to display legal notices regarding access to the switch, such as unauthorized access to this device is prohibited and violators will be prosecuted to the full extent of the law and other such cheery endearments.

Login: This banner is displayed before login to the system, but after the MOTD banner is displayed. Typically, this banner is used to display a permanent message to the users.

Exec: This banner displays after the login is complete when the connecting user enters User EXEC mode. Whereas all users who attempt to connect to the switch see the other banners, only users who successfully log on to the switch see this banner, which can be used to post reminders to your network administrators.

To configure each of these banners and set them up on your switch, follow these commands:

Switch1>enable
    Switch1#configure terminal
    Enter configuration commands, one per line. End with CNTL/Z.
    Switch1(config)#banner motd #
    Enter TEXT message. End with the character '#'.
    This device is for authorized personnel only.
    If you have not been provided with permission to
    access this device - disconnect at once.
    #
    Switch1(config)#banner login #
    *** Login Required. Unauthorized use is prohibited ***
    #
    Switch1(config)#banner exec #
    *** Ensure that you update the system configuration ***
    *** documentation after making system changes. ***
    #
    Switch1(config)#exit
    Notice that each of the banner lines ends with a # symbol; this is a delimiter to identify the end of the message. You can specify any character you want, but the character you choose is the one you will use to end the banner message. Here is what these messages look like when you connect to the switch:

Switch1 Con0 is now available
    Press RETURN to get started!
    This device is for authorized personnel only.
    If you have not been provided with permission to
    access this device - disconnect at once.
    User Access Verification
    Password:
    Switch1>

Cisco Networking: Banner Configuration - For Dummies
    Hello Hatch,
    I asked about whether packet tracer allow login banner in their switches or not? Either real-life switches dont support login banner or packet tracer dont.
    I didnt ask about how to configure banners!
  • Hatch1921Hatch1921 Member Posts: 257 ■■■■□□□□□□
    p1xels wrote: »
    Hello Hatch,
    I asked about whether packet tracer allow login banner in their switches or not? Either real-life switches dont support login banner or packet tracer dont.
    I didnt ask about how to configure banners!

Hey.. don't yell at me for trying to help.. ROFL

Now try here.
    https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/thread/40396
    Bro I am not yelling at you :)
    Actually I find that switches in PT dont support login banner but routers do. icon_lol.gif
  • pamccabepamccabe Member Posts: 315 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You can create a MOTD banner in PT. I am using PT 5.3.3 and it works. Get to global config mode and do a 'banner ?'. This is far too much conversation about the configuration of a banner. lol
  • theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    There are a number of small things that Packet Tracer doesn't support [and some big ones such as T1 modules, Analog Voice, etc...] I seem to remember at least one of the banners would not work on PT for switches, but did for routers. I was trying to do Frame Relay in PT [on my laptop] the other day and all the commands shown online (frame-relay switching, frame-relay route, etc...) to make a router act as a FR Switch were missing. I had to use their "WAN Emulation Cloud" until I can try it at home on real equipment.
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
  • slotmasterslotmaster Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hatch1921 said:
    Cisco Networking: Banner Configuration
    By Edward Tetz from Cisco Networking All-in-One For Dummies

Switch1(config)#banner login #
    #
    Switch1(config)#banner exec #
    #
    Switch1(config)#exit
    it's all very intresting but on my Packet Tracer 7.3.1:

SW0(config)#banner ?

motd Set Message of the Day banner

SW0(config)#banner motd ?

LINE c banner-text c, where 'c' is a delimiting character

SW0(config)#banner motd c Welcome! c

SW0(config)#banner ?

motd Set Message of the Day banner

SW0(config)#banner login c Hi! c

^

% Invalid input detected at '^' marker.

show running-config :

!

banner motd ^C Wel^C

!

!

!

line con 0

login local

!

line vty 0 4

login

as a netter of facts i can't to do login msg on Packet Tracer 7.3.1.

Do you have any idea ?