Security+

Master13Master13 Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
Just passed Security+, 825 out of 750...

Comments

• Arod95Arod95 Member Posts: 216 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats!! what did you use to study?
  • Master13Master13 Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    thank you Arod95...To study for the Security+, I used the coursebook I had from school(ECPI University), MeasureUP and **************
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on pass!! icon_thumright.gif

What's next?
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
    Thanks Dakinggamer87...well, I have CCENT/CCNA on my radar. In the meantime, the company I work for will have other training course offers in the near future such as CEH and Juniper certs.
  • SharkbaitSharkbait Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If you had a word of advice to give to someone getting ready to take their test (me), what would you say?

-Sharkbait-
    As for me, I took alone time to study for the exam, no kids, tv or distractions during the week or up to the time of me taking the exam. I focused only on studying the exam and nothing else. I thought positive. Make sure you feel confident in your study efforts. Any topics you are unsure of make sure you go over it until you understand it or seek help.
  • SharkDiverSharkDiver Member Posts: 844
    Congratulations!
    Nice score.
    What's next? Cisco?
  • rscrtrscrt Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats and good luck on the next one!
  • shart1971shart1971 Member Posts: 91 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations!! Great job!
    Yes..SharkDiver...Cisco is up next
    Master13 wrote: »
    As for me, I took alone time to study for the exam, no kids, tv or distractions during the week or up to the time of me taking the exam. I focused only on studying the exam and nothing else. I thought positive. Make sure you feel confident in your study efforts. Any topics you are unsure of make sure you go over it until you understand it or seek help.

This is the scenario I'm up against. Because it's summer, and the kids are out of school. I've got a lot of other stuff going on that keeps me away from my studies. I'm going into my 10th week of studying (mainly because I'm on a self-paced program), and I feel like I should be done already. But after reading several posts, I don't feel too bad. It seems this is one of the more comprehensive certificates to receive...especially for someone coming from the test engineering department and not the security department.

-Sharkbait-
  • jvrlopezjvrlopez Member Posts: 913 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Sharkbait wrote: »
    If you had a word of advice to give to someone getting ready to take their test (me), what would you say?

-Sharkbait-

I would memorize things like port numbers, encryption and hashing methods, and the wi-fi parameters (speed, frequency). I memorized these by simply writing them down about 50 times each in a table like manner. When you get your dry erase board and marker, write these out again. When you see them on the exam, you can reference that.

These will end up being 'gimmes' that can make or break your score given your familiarity and experience with the other, more difficult questions.

Also, memorizing these early will allow you to focus on other areas.
    And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna
    Sharkbait...when is your exam? or have you scheduled it yet? I definitely understand where you coming from as far as finding the time to study and other obligations that gets in the way of your studying. I would suggest finding some time alone for studying. Your the best person that knows your needs and want you want to accomplish. Ask others for help when you need it. Hope all goes well for you.
    I haven't signed up to take the test yet. I've got to go through a series of "pre-tests" with this New Horizons Learning Center program I'm going through. I'm in the process of reading through about 400 pages of .pdf files that explain the whole Security+ process. So, not only did I already go through the video presentation, quizzes, simulations, and what not, I'm also going through this supplimental information. It feels like New Horizons wants to be double sure you'll pass the test before they give you the test voucher.

Since they're paying for my program, I'll play ball. It's just taking a long time to go through the process.

-Sharkbait-
  • SharkDiverSharkDiver Member Posts: 844
    Master13 wrote: »
    Yes..SharkDiver...Cisco is up next

Good choice.
    Good Luck with it.
  • TechGuy215TechGuy215 Member Posts: 404 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Fantastic! Good job!
    * Currently pursuing: PhD: Information Security and Information Assurance
    * Certifications: CISSP, CEH, CHFI, CCNA:Sec, CCNA:R&S, CWNA, ITILv3, VCA-DCV, LPIC-1, A+, Network+, Security+, Linux+, Project+, and many more...
    * Degrees: MSc: Cybersecurity and Information Assurance; BSc: Information Technology - Security; AAS: IT Network Systems Administration
  • gadav478gadav478 Member Posts: 374 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Late to the party but nonetheless, congrats!
    Goals for 2015: CCNP
    Thank you all for the congrats...Do you have any suggestions on studying for the CCENT cert. I probably being taken the 100-101 ICND1. I know I am going to get various answers...lol. Thank you in advance.
  • Arod95Arod95 Member Posts: 216 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Lab!! Lab like there's no tomorrow! reading material wise I'm using Odom's books right just about to finish ICND1 book and it has a lot of info that's really good. Congrats again on the pass
    Arod95....thank you. I posted in the Cisco forum as well.