Options

Ether Channels

DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
Simple questions I want to check I am right.

I have two hosts

A - 192.168.0.1 aa:aa:aa:aa:aa:aa
B - 192.168.0.2 bb:bb:bb:bb:bb:bb

connected in to the network via multiply bundled ports. (lets assume 2 X 1gbs links) that are join as an either-channel

host A starts to send some data to host B on port 45, this will get hashed and sent across to host B and lets say on link 1 of the channel

Then host A starts to send data to host B on port 50, now assuming default settings (source mac address) am I correct saying all traffic should go across Link 1 always. When ever host A talks to host B as the hash value will always be the same. Indeed with any of the load balancing methods the hash will be the same.

So is there any way to get two hosts to load balance there multiply conversations across the links in the channel. Can't of course balance a single conversations but I am talking about mutiply conversations.

The reason I ask is that we have a backup server connected to a Quantum DXi storage box across the network. At the moment despite both connecting in via multiply 1gbs links, they will only use one of the links to send traffic, the rest stand unused.
  • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
  • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    The defualt is source/dest IP on most models I believe so yes. You can configure other hashing methods depending on your platform.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Yer but can you load balance based on conversation, (cisco switches 2960, 3750 and 6500) default to source IP.

i thought you could use round robin but on the ios 15 does not seem to be there.

I am going to lab it up later as it seems wrong that one host to one hosts with mutiply sessions does not seem to load balance on the channel. Although its a nice excuse to get some 10gig modules ;)
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    You can possibly use L4 information. Not sure what all models/IOS support it.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.