Microsoft Academic Pricing for Exams

thelaststop720thelaststop720 Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
I came across a little tidbit of information last year that I haven't seen listed anywhere else so I'd thought I share. Microsoft offers academic pricing for students. When you go to register for the exam, choose the test prefix 72 instead of 70. Then provide your school email address (it may have to have a .edu domain) and your student ID. For all the $150 tests I've taken, the price drops to $83, so that's quite nice. The 72 tests still counts towards all certifications. I took 72-640/642/646 last year for MCSA 2008. I don't know if they verify your student status somehow, so if you're no longer a student, I would be hesitant to use it.

Comments

• SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    You need to have a valid student ID to show at the testing center, in addition to an email address with a .edu extension. If you're currently a student, both should already have been provided to you. If you're not currently a student, it's as easy as going to your local community college and signing up for a class in the upcoming semester and you'll save $67 per exam. (They're bound to have a few IT-related courses worth taking even if you're not interested in any other academia.)

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • chanakyajupudichanakyajupudi Member Posts: 712
    Is this for any country ? Or only the US ?
    Work In Progress - RHCA [ ] Certified Cloud Security Professional [ ] GMON/GWAPT if Work Study is accepted [ ]
    http://adarsh.amazonwebservices.ninja

• pamccabepamccabe Member Posts: 315 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the heads up! I'm in the Network program at my local tech college and am signed up for a MS Server class this upcoming semester. Think I might just start studying for a server 2012 cert along the way.
  • Z3-MasterdZ3-Masterd Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    What did the verification process consist of? Did you need to provide transcripts or receipt of payment from the bursar's office?
  • thelaststop720thelaststop720 Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    When registering for the exam, I put in my student ID and .edu email address. I've had no other verification since then. The testing center has never asked for my student ID. Your mileage may vary.
  • Akshit555Akshit555 Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    My acedemics is verified but I don't see a change in the pricing. Why?
  • november24november24 Member Posts: 76 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Akshit555 said:
    My acedemics is verified but I don't see a change in the pricing. Why?
    the exam fees at the exam page won't change, once you start scheduling for the exam you will see the reduced exam fee before you submit your exam date.
    What did the verification process consist of? Did you need to provide transcripts or receipt of payment from the bursar's office?
    it depends, for me, I just supplied my .edu email account, then I received a confirmation email, once I confirmed it, I was good to go. I live in the US.
    Is this for any country ? Or only the US ?
    Any student in any country is eligible.