Options

Best practice test and best Sim?

vstormvstorm Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi all,

I am newbie on this forum. It looks great. Here are my 2 questions:

1) What do you think is the best practice test for preparing for the CCNA test? I like that MeasureUp almost promises a pass if you regularly pass their practice test.

2) What do you think is the best simulation application?

Thanks!

Matt
Matt

Comments

• Options
    RUN-DMCRUN-DMC Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    theres many posts on that question....

do a search of the forum
  • Options
    ccie_in_the_makingccie_in_the_making Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    1. test king and/or certsim
    2. routersim's netvis
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    xxx"****"xxx
    Oh... you're one of "those"

Hum, what's your plan for the CCIE lab(s) if you **** your way through the certifications?
    vstorm wrote:
    1) What do you think is the best practice test for preparing for the CCNA test?
    2) What do you think is the best simulation application?
    Boson -- the tests and the simulator. They do the test engine for the Cisco Press books also -- so you can get the exam certification guides and see how their tests are before you try the individual Boson exams.

Transcenders used to be good -- but they might have dropped sims from their latest test engine...... but that could just be a rumor I heard.

The Boson simulator works good enough for the CCNA... but you should get your hands on a router for password recovery.... even just one..

NetVis -- if the new version works better then all the older versions.... maybe. Always had promise -- but never delivered is my opinion. They were good at delivering bug fixes (and admitting them).
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    Thanks MikeJ for the useful response.

ccie_in_the_making, thanks for the references. I am not sure what you mean by xxx **** xxx, but I am sure I will learn.

DMC, I hope you are trying to be helpful and not snide. FYI, the search isn't so hot on the site.
    Matt
  • Options
    mikej412 wrote:
    xxx"****"xxx
    Oh... you're one of "those"

Hum, what's your plan for the CCIE lab(s) if you **** your way through the certifications?

you did realize i also said certsim right, and you do realize that **** have questions and answers just like any exam simulator, i dont know what you or other people do with questions from **** or simulators but i use them to practice not to memorize and hope they show up on the exam, that is only done by idiots that only want to get by.

also you have no idea where i work and what kind of experience i have so dont worry about how i will handle the labs.

i was merely giving a recommendation, so dont attack me because you dont agree
  • Options
    and you do realize that **** have questions and answers just like any exam simulator, i dont know what you or other people do with questions from **** or simulators but i use them to practice not to memorize and hope they show up on the exam, that is only done by idiots that only want to get by.
    Right, the real questions to the exams -- that are on the exam. But since you don't memorize them, you don't remember seeing them on the exams -- right, so that isn't cheating.

Back in grade school, high school, and college that was called cheating. You would fail exams if caught... and get expelled if you continued to ****. **** are cheating. Some of us don't **** our way to certifications. But since you don't memorize them -- sure, you're not cheating. Hum... but wouldn't it be easier to just buy a PhD or MD or JD off of the internet -- hey, better yet -- steal someone elses fake diploma -- since it isn't stealing if you steal somthing that is illegal. With your fake diplomas you lie your way into a great job -- and if you show enough attitude when people question your abilities, maybe you can get away without have to do any work.

If you want to **** -- fine. I'm always amused by people who ****, then justify it, then suggest that other do it to "because its not cheating." How does that work -- the more people you get to the ****, the less it counts as cheating, because now eveyone is doing it?

You might want to steal a **** for an ethics course.
  • Options
    lwwarnerlwwarner Member Posts: 147 ■■■□□□□□□□
    i dont know what you or other people do with questions from **** or simulators but i use them to practice not to memorize and hope they show up on the exam

It doesn't matter how you use them, why you use them, or how you attempt to justify using them. Using **** or promoting them here is a violation of your agreement with Cisco, and cause for revocation of your certs. See section 2.2 of the Confidentiality Agreement where it says your certs can be revoked if "you have undertaken or participated in any action that compromises the integrity and confidentiality of an examination".

Seems clear enough to me...
  • Options
    lwwarner wrote:
    Seems clear enough to me...
    Thanks -- your response was clearer than mine -- I was "sputtering" as I was typing...... At least I left out the "drug dealer calling crack cocaine candy and giving it to school children" example. :D
  • Options
    I am so sorry to have sinned, it will never happen again, I can’t believe I have cheated my way to all the knowledge I have attained

If you all want you can call Cisco and report me and let them take all my certifications back, because I don’t need them seeing as though I know what I am doing and can do it very well
  • Options
    RUN-DMCRUN-DMC Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm taking a **** right now, WHAT?
  • Options
    I am so sorry to have sinned, it will never happen again, I can’t believe I have cheated my way to all the knowledge I have attained
    See -- don't you feel better? icon_lol.gif
    RUN-DMC wrote:
    I'm taking a **** right now, WHAT?
    No.. no... not that kind..... ah, multi-tasking -- wireless laptop in the bathroom? icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    Great conversation guys, I didn't realize what a xx **** was, but I understand now.

Long story short, I ended up going overboard on materials. :)

I ended up getting the practice tests from Boson and MeasureUp for both the CCNA and CCDA. I have a ton of network protocol and architecture experience. The CCDA looks easy enough, although we will see. I haven't taken a practice test yet.

I bought a few books on both CCNA and CCDA from Amazon and Ciscopress.

Finally, I picked up two routers to practice with from ciscokit.com. I am also thinking about the router simulator from Ciscopress. We will see.

I told you I went overboard. ;) I figure too much information is better than too little.
    Matt
  • Options
    vstorm wrote:
    I told you I went overboard. ;) I figure too much information is better than too little.
    Hey, I was just thinking we might have gone overboard and scared you off. :D Glad you're still with us.

I'm not sure if you can go overboard on the books (or real hardware) -- unless you got the 2003 Sybex CCDA book -- that one is useless to use to study for that exam (authors are good, and the writing isn't bad -- just doesn't cover the current objectives).

The simulator is still probably a good idea -- and it fun when (and if) you hit the point where you want to try things the simulator can't do. :D Sort of like when the training wheels come off a kids bike.

I always save the practice tests (either from the Cisco Press Flash Cards or the Exam Certification Guides) for when I think I'm ready for the real exam -- and only go through them once (in one big un-timed lump, rather than individual practice tests). Other people use them like flash cards -- and go through them until they "get them all right."

Anyways -- you gotta show the CCNA some respect -- but so far it sound like you have a plan and probably won't have any problem with it. Protocol experience and network architecture experience helps a lot -- sounds like you just need to learn the Cisco commands and the "Cisco way" of doing things.
  • Options
    oomphoomph Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    vstorm wrote:
    Finally, I picked up two routers to practice with from ciscokit.com.

Which routers did you buy?

I need to set up a lab and I cant decide which ones to get.