It's been a while...

RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
So ladies and Gents,

How's the CCNA:Security going? Any candidates for the exam?
In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

Comments

• veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'm trying to get motivated so I can knock out this exam. I figure if I get moving I can KO the exam in two months.
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Two months? Sir. I like that tone.

I see you've already acquired an ASA, how do you plan on labbing?

Speaking of the ASA: Did you run into any problems buying it?
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.

Roguetadhg wrote: »
    Two months? Sir. I like that tone.

I see you've already acquired an ASA, how do you plan on labbing?

I picked up the Cisco Academy lab book from Amazon. Work was nice enough to let me use an ASA and two switches. With that help and the lab I have at home (in my signature) I think it should be easy to finish. The only real surprise for me so far is how many new commands there are. I know the focus is on the GUI, but wow there are a lot of new commands. The ASA is a fascinating creature, the commands are different for multiple things. When I first booted up the ASA and got it running I found that one of my favorite commands, SH IP INT BRIEF, caused my ASA to do absolutely nothing. After talking to one of the network admins I learned you have to use "SH IP ADDRESS" to get the same result.
  • iamme4evaiamme4eva Member Posts: 272
    I'm just starting. I'm about 4 chapters or so in to the OCG.

Struggling to find motivation and focus at the moment though - I'm in the middle of job interviews and moving house all at once, so studying is having to take a little bit of a back seat.

I still carry the book everywhere though and try and get the odd 5 mins reading here and there!

Depending how the job / housing situation goes, I reckon 3 months for me. I want be started on CCNP: Sec NO LATER than Jan 14. Just a personal goal.
    Current objective: CCNA Security
    My blog: mybraindump.co.uk
  • RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    I think I will sit this within the next few weeks to a month, depending on my work load.
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
  • j.petrovj.petrov Member Posts: 282
    I'm gonna knock this one out next week. Only 100 pages of the OCG left. I have been using GNS3 for labs. I'm aiming for next Wed, I'll book the exam on Monday.

Wish me luck!
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Always :D Tell us how you do, yeah?

• IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    @j.petrov - good luck on the CCNA Security exam!

I bought the OCG and started studying for the CCNA Security then switched to ROUTE when I found out that there was a lot of overlapping material - I may go back to the CCNA Security if I can get enough motivation - the material seemed so much like rote learning.
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
  • wizkid01wizkid01 Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I've just started studying for CCNA:S after recently passing CCNA R&S, definitely seems pretty fun so far.. even managed to pick up an ASA5505 on the cheap.

So far I have watched all of Keith's videos on CBT and some of Chris Bryants on Udemy and picked up the OCG which I figure is a good start.

@Ivanjam - I know what you mean I'm still somewhat wondering if my time would be better spent going straight for CCNP ROUTE but I think I'll stick with CCNA:S for now as its fairly interesting stuff.
  • j.petrovj.petrov Member Posts: 282
    I would agree that there is a lot of overlapping material. I also recently took the Sec+ exam, so there is a great deal of overlap there as well in terms of theoretical security aspects. I expect the exam to be easier than the CCNA exams. We'll see how it goes...
  • Arod95Arod95 Member Posts: 216 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Not trying to hijack the thread but @j.petrov you said there was a lot overlapping material on Sec+ on the CCNA:S. I was wondering will that help a lot, because I plan to take Sec+ in between my CCNA, and CCNA:S studying this year.
  • sizeonsizeon Member Posts: 321
    wizkid01 wrote: »
    I've just started studying for CCNA:S after recently passing CCNA R&S, definitely seems pretty fun so far.. even managed to pick up an ASA5505 on the cheap.

So far I have watched all of Keith's videos on CBT and some of Chris Bryants on Udemy and picked up the OCG which I figure is a good start.

@Ivanjam - I know what you mean I'm still somewhat wondering if my time would be better spent going straight for CCNP ROUTE but I think I'll stick with CCNA:S for now as its fairly interesting stuff.

Which of the 3 helped you the most?
  • wizkid01wizkid01 Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    It's hard to say yet as I haven't finished the book but the stand out so far would have to be Keith Barker's vids on CBT - Easy to watch/listen to and plenty of information.
    So, I'm through with the videos from Chris Bryant and with reading the OCG. The only area I'm currently struggling with having a strong hold on is IPSEC and cryptography. These were also the areas I found frustrating to understand when I studied for the Security+.

I'm assuming I'm not the only one?