Options

CWTS vs Wireshark cert?

Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
So I may have a new job.. which is cool...

It deals a lot with wireless, but not on a large enterprise scale..

In the interview they asked about Wireshark..

trying to prepare for it, would I be better to start with CWTS, or just start studying Wireshark?
Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I'd go CWTS over Wireshark. Neither are very highly sought after certifications, but I'd have to say you'd get more bang for your buck from the CWTS.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I think if your job requires it and you get certified in it then potential employers would probably consider it a bonus to show you at least took some initiative I guess.

I looked into the CWTS but man their website had several broken links for a long time and it reduced my confidence in the organization big time.
  • Options
    well, I dont think the job requires it, I just know I'll be dealing a lot with wireless. And i know one interviewer asked a lot about Wireshark..

so I figured I would cram on one of them for 2 weeks so when I actually start, maybe I can act like I know something
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,028 Admin
    The CWTS is very basic 802.11 networking knowledge. Think of it like a Wireless+ cert. Having the CWTS doesn't indicate that you can do much with 802.11, only that yoiu know about some its detail. A wireless professional would start with the CWNA cert.

Find out if you will be using Wireshark for 802.11 (Layer 2) troubleshooting, or only for higher level protocol analysis (layers 3-7). If they use Wireshark for managing 802.11 then you'll also want to know how to use Kismet and Aircrack-ng. Also find out if they need to manage other types of wireless networks (Bluetooth, Zigbee, etc.). I'd really push them to invest in something like AirMagnet.

And remember, although the cert is nice to have on your resume, the knowledge and experience is more important than the paper.
  • Options
    Thanks!

the actual job ad just listed this:
    • Hands on experience with Networking (CCNA preferred) including configuration, knowledge of protocols, data packet generation tools and packet analyzers (Ethereal)
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,028 Admin
    Packet generation tools are scapy, Komodia Packet Crafter, and Colasoft Packet Builder.

Ethereal was discontinued about six years ago and was replaced by Wireshark.