New to computers and wondering where to start

1337parker1337parker Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello, everyone. I have a general interest for computers and have been wanting to work with them for quite a while. The job description sounds much better than what I'm in now, but it's a bit daunting. I have zero experience or schooling regarding the subjects, but I can at least build a computer. What would I need to get the ability to start working in the field and then possibly go to school for it? I'm also not sure if I should get into Linux and or focus on cloud services. The certifications I've pin pointed are as follows:

comptia a+
MCSE
Cisco
citrix
mcts
ccent
network + (i think i remember reading this or a+)

On a side note: would these also help me get jobs if I went anywhere besides the US?

Comments

• Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    The CompTIA exams are a great start. They serve as good entry level material. Do you have an area of IT in which you want to get into(networking,programming etc.)? This will help people give you better advice.
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
  • Snow.brosSnow.bros Member Posts: 832 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Seeing that you have a bit of a background knowledge in building computers it is good idea that you start with CompTIA A+, this certification could be the key to enter into the IT industry. Which ever choice you take i wish all the best!!!icon_thumright.gif
  • About7NarwhalAbout7Narwhal Member Posts: 761
    Start with the A+, then the Network+. This will give you some good grounding and allow you to decide if networking is for you. If you don't like networking then don't bother with the CCENT / CCNA stuff. MCSE is probably a very big reach for you at this point, but the MCTS might be possible. As you study the A+ and Net+ try to figure out what you enjoy and what you don't enjoy and focus your studies based on that information.

If you already have some things in mind or if more questions come up, you should come back here an ask; we help where we can.
  • 1337parker1337parker Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Start with the A+, then the Network+. This will give you some good grounding and allow you to decide if networking is for you. If you don't like networking then don't bother with the CCENT / CCNA stuff. MCSE is probably a very big reach for you at this point, but the MCTS might be possible. As you study the A+ and Net+ try to figure out what you enjoy and what you don't enjoy and focus your studies based on that information.

If you already have some things in mind or if more questions come up, you should come back here an ask; we help where we can.

I agree with the A+ and Network+ route. I'm an American that is planning to relocate to Puerto Rico in a year or so and was wondering if bringing any of those certifications would help me get jobs there as well. I mainly just want to get into the career and get out of my current one. IT has always been suggested to me, but only now I listen. Most jobs are wanting a bachelors in computers, but I'm hoping that the certifications can at least get me started somewhere.
  • Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    Don't worry, you absolutely don't need a degree to start in IT. The certs and the knowledge you gain from them will be enough.
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
  • Macpro76Macpro76 Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi,

When i started it was May 2012. I went to Branford hall Career Institute. I have a background in computers and networking through my University degree and work. But, I wanted to refresh my memory and decided to take the 9 month course. In that time, as we finished a class (every 6 weeks) I took an exam sometimes 2. It depended on what we were doing as a small group of us studied together. It worked. This is the path I took. It ultimately depends on what you like to do. Right now I am looking for an entry level Server support position. I have my resume on Dice.com, indeed.com, and careerbuilder.com. I get hits for IT Support Technician and IT Support Analyst. They are pretty much the same thing, at times. But, I might just have to bit the bullet and do that for a while and just keep studying for my MCSA Windows 8 and MCSA Server 2012. For me the Cisco certs are at least 1-2 years out. Hope this helps.

Certifications completed in 9 months:

CompTIA: A+, Network+, Server+, Security+, Healthcare IT, Green IT
    Microsoft: Microsoft Technology Associate – Network,
    Microsoft Technology Associate – Windows OS
    Microsoft Technology Associate – Server Administration
    Microsoft Technology Associate – Security Fundamentals
    Apple: Apple Certified Support Professional v10.8, Apple Certified Mac Technician v10.8,
    Mac Integration v10.8, Mac Integration v10.7
    [ ] PDI+, [ ] Cloud Essentials, /B] [B Project+
    [*
    ] CompTIA: A+, Network+, Server+, Security+, Healthcare IT, Green IT
    /B]*[SIZE=2 MTA: Server, OS, Network, Security
    /SIZE]*[SIZE=2 Apple: ACSP v10.8, ACMT v10.8, Mac Integration v10.7 & v10.8 [/SIZE]

Linkedin: http://www.linkedin.com/in/tdadarwala/
  • Snow.brosSnow.bros Member Posts: 832 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Macpro76 wrote: »
    Hi,

Apple: Apple Certified Support Professional v10.8, Apple Certified Mac Technician v10.8,

What!!! are for real within 9 months? you must be super smart and very very focused. That's awesome.

My question to you is, seeing you have done so many certification within that short period of time is your knowledge solid in all of these certification, do you feel confident of what you know from these certification or where you just aiming to complete your certifications within that period of time.
  • About7NarwhalAbout7Narwhal Member Posts: 761
    I too question the value of massive certification like this. The MTA stuff isn't that big of a deal, but the rest seems like a lot over 9 months unless you already knew most of the material.

Here is how I look at it: Did I learn enough to pass it today and will I retain it long enough to pass it 6 months from now? If not, what is the point?

**EDIT**

Not to belittle the the accomplishment of Macpro76. I just know that I would not be able to honestly learn all of the material and retain it in that fashion.
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Macpro76 wrote: »
    Hi,

When i started it was May 2012. I went to Branford hall Career Institute. I have a background in computers and networking through my University degree and work. But, I wanted to refresh my memory and decided to take the 9 month course. In that time, as we finished a class (every 6 weeks) I took an exam sometimes 2. It depended on what we were doing as a small group of us studied together. It worked. This is the path I took. It ultimately depends on what you like to do. Right now I am looking for an entry level Server support position. I have my resume on Dice.com, indeed.com, and careerbuilder.com. I get hits for IT Support Technician and IT Support Analyst. They are pretty much the same thing, at times. But, I might just have to bit the bullet and do that for a while and just keep studying for my MCSA Windows 8 and MCSA Server 2012. For me the Cisco certs are at least 1-2 years out. Hope this helps.

Gotta do the time if you want to do the crime.

...or something like that. I need a refresher in Mobster sayings and all that jazz.

Experience speaks volumes over certifications. Dumping sites and exams have given IT certifications a pretty bad wrap in business. Back it up with experience. If you can do all those certifications within 9 months, I have no question you'll be able to pound out the CCNA within 6 months.

Actually, I've read on these forums about people leaving and then coming back to this industry... Having to start back out at the bottom. Because the only thing that's constant is change.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams