Recommendations for a relocation city for IT work

JockVSJockJockVSJock Member Posts: 1,118
Greetings, more then likely I will be separating from the US Army early.

I have no intentions of moving back to Omaha. There is no IT there, except for dead-end call centers/help desk type of work.

I am looking at moving to a different and bigger city to find better IT work. Right now I'm looking at Texas (Dallas and/or Austin) for work.

My two criteria is:

-more job opportunities
-ability to network with IT professional, say Meetup.com or professional groups

However I would like to get input on other cities in seeking better career opportunities.

thanks
***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
-unknown

Comments

• gbdavidxgbdavidx Member Posts: 840
    iowa may be boring but i hear it has the lowest unemployment rate in the us, if i was single and needed a job id probably move there, others id probably move to seattle or portland, but thats because i like those two cities
  • it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    Austin is good, Denver/Boulder is good, San Jose is excellent (but competitive).
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    The Seattle area is very good right now.
  • ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Seattle, Minneapolis, Austin, Los Angeles. Seattle is really the only one I'd consider strongly for career reasons, personally.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Seattle, Minneapolis is HOT, several cities in Texas. Back in 2011 over 1/3 of the new jobs were provided in the state of Texas, it's almost like it's own country. This is against the nation all 50 states and 1/3 of those new jobs were in Texas. I think that speaks volumes.
  • NutsacjacNutsacjac Member Posts: 76 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I've heard nothing but good about Austin from colleagues who have migrated there.
  • FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Austin and RTP. I've also been seeing a ton of postings for openings in the Denver area
  • IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    Hopefully this will help you. It's a recent survey of job satisfaction per metro. There's also a lot of IT hubs in the first 5:
    San Jose Best City To Work In; Glassdoor Employment Satisfaction Report Card By City | Glassdoor Blog
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • JockVSJockJockVSJock Member Posts: 1,118
    N2IT wrote: »
    Minneapolis is HOT, several cities in Texas. Back in 2011 over 1/3 of the new jobs were provided in the state of Texas, it's almost like it's own country. This is against the nation all 50 states and 1/3 of those new jobs were in Texas. I think that speaks volumes.

I have family in Minneapolis and applied for a job there on a whim. Got an interview, however it was the case that I wasn't qualified and the company wasn't willing to train either...Also I don't think I could take the harsh winters either. I don't know how you can do it.

As for Texas, its looking more and more like a great place to end up.
    ***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
    -unknown
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    I'll chime in with my support for the Seattle area as well. I am always seeing plenty of IT positions across the experience spectrum open around here. Though I also imagine that the competition for the jobs is a bit more fierce as well.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    JockVSJock wrote: »
    Also I don't think I could take the harsh winters either. I don't know how you can do it.
    He doesn't have to anymore, but I love it. Realistically, if you don't like the cold, you don't need to spend more than 20 minutes a day in it, maybe 40 if your car takes time to heat up. Garages are almost omnipresent on houses and apartments.

By comparison, I couldn't stand the Texas heat for even five minutes. The commute would be unbearable.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340