Books for studying

skivesskives Member Posts: 92 ■■□□□□□□□□
I bought two books about 2 to 3 years ago from Cisco Press the INTRO and ICND book. Are there any updated books I should get to study for the CCNA?

Comments

• gworks1gworks1 Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Todd Lammle's/Sybex book is the way to go!! I would not have passed without reading this inside and out.

Good Luck!
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    2 or 3 years.... current enough -- download errata for the books from CiscoPress.com -- and look for updates or additional downloads.

Same with the recommended Sybex book -- look on the Sybex site for updates/additional material. The Sybex book is weak on NAT, but there may be a new chapter to download that fixes that problem.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • jocampojocampo Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    skives wrote:
    I bought two books about 2 to 3 years ago from Cisco Press the INTRO and ICND book. Are there any updated books I should get to study for the CCNA?

Todd Lammle's book it's your choice! Excellent book, easy to understand and easy to read. Not boring at all.

You can download the new NAT section for free from its website and overcome the NAT drawback of the book.
  • asilentmurmurasilentmurmur Inactive Imported Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Is Cisco Press going to release a new edition of their: CCNA Self-Study: CCNA Preparation Library any time soon? I can only find the 2004 edition and I do not know if its too outdated to use.
  • Ed RooneyEd Rooney Member Posts: 52 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I got a lot out of the Cisco Press CCDA book, even though I was studying CCNA. This was just for renewal, so I don't know how much it would help a first-timer.
  • higherhohigherho Member Posts: 882
    So I am getting my CCNA by July. I was in the Cisco Network Academy (Exploration) and the first two parts of the CCNP academy at my last year during college. I just purchased the;

CCENT/CCNA ICND1 Official Exam Certificateion Guide second edition

from borders for 20 bucks since the store here is closing. I also have packet tracer and I have some real equipment on order.

Did anyone else use this book for a refresher?
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I will have to check out the Todd Lammle's book when I start my CCNA icon_cool.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Patel128Patel128 Member Posts: 339
    Yeah, like most people, I am currently studying off of the CiscoPress ICND1&2 books. I also have Todd Lammle's book for CCNA. If you read both of those books and do labs and whatnot you should be good.
    Studying For:
    B.S. in Computer Science at University of Memphis
    Network+
    Currently Reading:
    CompTIA Network+ Study Guide - Lammle
    Thank you for the replies! What is the major difference with Todd Lammle's book? compared to the cisco press ones.
  • hermeszdatahermeszdata Member Posts: 225
    higherho wrote: »
    Thank you for the replies! What is the major difference with Todd Lammle's book? compared to the cisco press ones.

Writing style.
    John
    Current Progress:
    Studying:
    CCNA Security - 60%, CCNA Wireless - 80%, ROUTE - 10% (Way behind due to major Wireless Project)
    Exams Passed:
    CCNA - 640-802 - 17 Jan 2011 -- CVOICE v6 - 642-436 - 28 Feb 2011
    2011 Goals
    CCNP/CCNP:Voice
  • mattlee09mattlee09 Member Posts: 205
    I will have to check out the Todd Lammle's book when I start my CCNA icon_cool.gif
    May note that MikeJ's post was on... 04-30-2006 01:53 PM

Might play into some relevance.

FWIW - I'd bet that the newer edition Lammle books w/ Odom's Cisco Press ICND's are still the goto guys as far as reading materials.
  • odysseyeliteodysseyelite Member Posts: 504 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I am using Todd's book as one of my resources. Everyone here recommended it. It it well written. I do not find myself struggling to make it to the end of the chapter. Actually, after I finish one chapter I want to move onto the next one without taking a break.

I have also used the course books by Cisco for the Netcad. I hated the books. I did not finish most of them and the material would not sink into my head.

I plan on getting the 31 days before your ccna book as well.
    Currently reading: Start with Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone to Take Action
    I am using Todd's book as one of my resources. Everyone here recommended it. It it well written. I do not find myself struggling to make it to the end of the chapter. Actually, after I finish one chapter I want to move onto the next one without taking a break.

I have also used the course books by Cisco for the Netcad. I hated the books. I did not finish most of them and the material would not sink into my head.

I plan on getting the 31 days before your ccna book as well.

What is todds book called? I might get it as well. I heard its more of a refresher book and I think that would work for me a lot (while still using the cisco press books if I need to look into something deeper). I have networking experience through the Cisco Network Academy and I also was a Network Installation Assistant at my college (10,000 students) which I mainly did some distribution layer stuff and alot of Access layer. I also got some exp with core layer but no hands on mainly them telling me about how they have their core setup.

I have the 31 days before your CCNA book and its amazing. End of each day it tells you were you can get more info from if you need it and they have practice tests / lab stuff too.
  • odysseyeliteodysseyelite Member Posts: 504 ■■■■■□□□□□
    What is todds book called? QUOTE]

Amazon.com: CCNA: Cisco Certified Network Associate Study Guide: Exam 640-802 (9780470110089): Todd Lammle: Books

CCNA: Cisco Certified Network Associate Study Guide
    Todd Lammle
    Currently reading: Start with Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone to Take Action
  • Patel128Patel128 Member Posts: 339

Yeah, I heard the writing styles (like said above) is a big difference. I am currently reading Odom's book. From what I have been told (and read around online) reading Odom's book then Lammie's book is a good order. Apparently Lammie's book goes over some people's head, but like I said I'm on Odom's, and I highly recommend it. It is a fantastic book.
    Studying For:
    B.S. in Computer Science at University of Memphis
    Network+
    Currently Reading:
    CompTIA Network+ Study Guide - Lammle
  • johnwest43johnwest43 Member Posts: 294
    Those might be outdated. does the intro book say ccent on it anywhere?

The new books are titled ccent/icnd 1 and ccna icnd2.

If it is the old set of books it will have a chapter or 2 on isdn. The new set of books does not cover isdn at all. I have both sets but only used the new set for my exams.

I highly reccommend Odoms Books.
    CCNP: ROUTE B][COLOR=#ff0000]x[/COLOR][/B , SWITCH B][COLOR=#ff0000]x[/COLOR][/B, TSHOOT [X ] Completed on 2/18/2014