Do I really need my Sec+ if I have my CCNA to meet DOD 8570?

wlind9999wlind9999 Member Posts: 17 ■■■□□□□□□□
I remember reading but can't find it now that if you have a current CCNA that you do not need the Sec+ in regards to be 8570 compliant. I fail to see how the Sec+ fits into the Networking role that I am trying to get not to mention I'd rather spend the money working towards my CCNP.

Comments

• megatran808megatran808 Member Posts: 53 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Requirement is Sec+ to be DoD 8570 compliant. CCNA is not a substitute.

You can go for other Certs that would fulfill the 8570 requirements like SANs Certs.
    Dept of Defense Directive: DoDD 8570
    "Love your Job, but never fall in love with your company....because you never know when your company stops loving you!"
  • SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    No my friend, someone is confused. CCNA would fulfill the computing environment requirement for a networking IAT role. You would still need a mainline cert, if you want to do pure networking, then I would suggest the Network+ as your mainline and the CCNA as your CE cert.
  • broli720broli720 Member Posts: 394 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm pretty sure they are more worried about the main line certs though. But if you're able to pass the CCNA then Security+ should be pretty easy.
  • wlind9999wlind9999 Member Posts: 17 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks everyone, I have my Net+ already. I could have sworn I saw the CCNA as a substitute for the Sec+ about a year ago perhaps. I guess Comptia conned the military good on this one. :)

Edit

The reason I'm asking mainly is because I am trying to get back over to Iraq and the contracting firm I was speaking to asked only for the CCNA.
  • Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    A lot of places will bring you on without the Security+ under the agreement you obtain it within a certain amount of time. My previous company did this, but required that I had it prior to my start date (2 weeks).
  • powmiapowmia Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 322
    Your job role is irrelevant... A networking cert will not suffice for the 8570 requirement. If you're going to be granted administrative rights on a DoD network, you need to fulfill the 8570 requirement. I have a CCIE and am required to hold a Security+ and CISSP for my current position. Same as Mrock4 for me; I was hired without those certs, but had to get them within a specific time frame.
  • jvrlopezjvrlopez Member Posts: 913 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I believe the old adage to abide by is that anyone in a DoD IT role with elevated privledges (admin type rights) or access (versus say, a regular user) requires Security+ per 8570.

Ditto ditto as for having to have it for my job. I was actually required to have it as part of my duties while active duty but never got around to it seeing as I separated. Needed it for my first contracting job (was hired without it but had to get it within 90 days) as well as my current position which also requires CEH.
    And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna