Passed the test

elondonelondon Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey all!

Passed my Security + ce on the 12th and just wanted to put it out there that I used Darril Gibson's CompTIA Security+: Get Certified Get Ahead: SY0-301 Study Guide. I have about 2 years experience in the industry and have taken many security focused classes. One important note to be taken is that regaurdless of your hands on security skills this can still be challenging. I skimmed through the book and read all the sections I was unfamiliar with. I also did all the practice questions the book had as well as practice questions on this site. The one thing none of them prepare you for is the practical questions which will absolutely throw your for one. I would recommend skipping over them if you don't know them. There were only about 2 and it is not worth being stressed the entire test over two questions. Keep your confidence level high and worry about the tough ones last.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Comments

• Arod95Arod95 Member Posts: 216 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulations on the pass! and I was wondering what do you mean by practical questions? Are you talking about the new performance base questions?
  • elondonelondon Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you! Yes, sorry, that is exactly what I was referring to. They opened up with performance base questions that we not very intuitive.
    They are starting with that with all of their Updated certs I wouldn't be surprised if the test will start becoming half performance, and half regular. What do you plan on going for next?
  • elondonelondon Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I plan on taking the C|EH v7 in a few weeks and then CISSP around January/February time.
    Good luck with your future exams! And let me know how C|EH v7 goes I plan to take v8 next year.
  • horusthesunhorusthesun Member Posts: 289
    elondon wrote:
    Hey all!

Passed my Security + ce ...snip

Congrats!
    I am studying for this on my self!!
  • FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • raybfreeraybfree Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the Security+ Pass... I would hit up the CISSP first before the C|EH since hacking/Encryption is a few of the domains mentioned in the CISSP. In fact, it might be easier for you to pass the C|EH should you do that. Plus, the CISSP is globally respected too and global companies are always looking for a CISSP. In fact, last year, I did a pen test and the clients initially required those involved to have a CISSP (not a pen testing/hacking cert), which made no sense. In any case, I did pass the C)ISSO and they did accept that cert. Rather odd... I give the Shon Harris book two thumbs up and I believe someone was selling her official kit with a million questions and videos on techexams.net. Good luck and job well done!
  • SharkDiverSharkDiver Member Posts: 844
    Congratulations!
    Good luck with CEH.
    @=raybfree

This changes things how about a SSCP? your thoughts, please good sir. I thank you in advance.
    Don't you need a fellow CISSP to back you so you can sit for the exam?

@=elondon

God speed to you sir!
  • DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    Congrats on the pass and glad to hear that the book helped you.

Great advice on the skipping the performance based questions. I frequently advise students to skip it if it doesn't make sense. I've heard of people spending close to 60 minutes on these, and then not having enough time to finish the multiple choice questions. If it makes sense, answer it. If it isn't clear, mark it and skip it. You can come back to it after finishing the multiple choice questions. There are two important points related to this.

1) Some of them are beta. You could spend a lot of time on them and they don't matter whether you get them right or wrong.
    2) After looking at the question, your mind will likely still be thinking about it as you're going through the multiple-choice questions and the answer might become clear later.

Good luck on the C|EH cert.

@horusthesun. Good luck with the Security+. On the SSCP and CISSP certs, you don't need to be sponsored to take the exam. It is only after you take it and pass that you need to submit the application with a sponsor. Most people develop relationships with other people that can sponsor them while they are studying. Even if you don't, (ISC)2 has another path if you can't find someone to sponsor you.
  • DeezyFFDeezyFF Member Posts: 62 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass and good luck with your future exams....

I know what you mean about the questions.. I also had unintuitive performance questions on my test, I answered them with the best of my ability and moved on to the multiple choice.
    WGU BS-IT Security: Complete
    ​:cheers:
  • Tremie24Tremie24 Member Posts: 85 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats brah! Taking my Security+ exam in a few hours.
    Tremie24 wrote: »
    Congrats brah! Taking my Security+ exam in a few hours.

God Speed!