CCNP switch equipment

freetofreeto Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Im looking at purchasing 2 3550s and 2 3560s for my studies. I read their were some features not available on the 3550s that I would need 3560s for. I only want to spend the money once. Will I still be able to do everything I need when I move on to CCIE with a couple 3550s and 3560s?

Thank you

Comments

• NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Will I still be able to do everything I need when I move on to CCIE with a couple 3550s and 3560s?
    For the CCNP SWITCH, 3x2950 + 2x3560 would be more ideal, but what you're considering purchasing is fine. Most get 2x2950 + 2x3550, which covers everything but PVLANs. Your trade-off risks missing 2950 defaults/nuances. Little things, no big worry! Obviously, you're spending more than the <$50 I spent on rack rentals to master the material. Many paths, same destination.

For the CCIE R&S, my only concerns would be--

1. How will you connect these to your physical or emulated routers?
    2. The CCIE R&S v4 is going to be replaced with a new (possibly larger!) v5 topology in the near future.
    3. If VIRL is released at the same time, will you regret buying a small physical topology?
  • rowelldrowelld Member Posts: 176
    I dont think VIRL will be supporting switching. I watched a video that only showed routers.
    Visit my blog: http://www.packet6.com - I'm on the CWNE journey!