Options

Multi-vendor SP question

nerdydadnerdydad Member Posts: 261
A few of us are currently studying for our CCIE SP, we have a full lab setup and have added some Alcatel gear on top of it (we are becoming a predominantly Alcatel-Lucent shop), in order to test interoperability and to just go down the rabbit hole. Which got me to thinking, what if we threw a Juniper router into this mix, just to get a little hands on with the CLI and such. Any recommendations on an inexpensive router that we could throw into the mix, I thought about Olive, but it would probably be just more of a distraction.

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    You can probably get some older M series routers pretty cheap these days. Something like an m10 would probably get you everything you need for messing around.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    AldurAldur Member Posts: 1,460
    Your cheapest bet is going to be a srx100. You can do a surprising amount of SP stuff, MPLS for example, with those little guys. Might be good to even go with a srx210. Either you should be able to pick up for less than 500 bucks.
    "Bribe is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. The X makes it sound cool."

-Bender
  • Options
    powmiapowmia Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 322
    Firefly. If you don't have access to it, contact your/a Juniper account team and ask for a copy of firefly for you to demo. It's a virtual SRX, full feature. I have about 30 of them running on an ESXi host at work... connected to my physical Cisco/Juniper lab. It will be a demo version, and will be licensed for 8 weeks (I think it's 8 weeks), at which point you just have to re-deploy your .ova templates. Free is the cheapest solution :)
  • Options
    JayTheCrackerJayTheCracker Member Posts: 169
    just sharing info...
    if u wanna try Huawei's NOS (VRP), eNSP(Enterprise Network Simulation Platform) is free to download on Huawei Website~! :)