help on lab upgrade

twellsktwellsk Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi guys I've been searching and reading many articles on security lab and need some advice on getting right equipment.

In rack so far is

Routers
2x 1841
1x 2611xm
1x 2620xm frame relay
1x 1760

Switches
3 x 2950

I know I need a asa 5505 but big question is do I need a layer 3 switch or can I get away with what I have. Having just browsed objectives could do with some advice. If I do need layer three switch how many and would the 3550 do. I am also planning on doing ccnp sec after so would like the equipment to at least do for few exams.

All advice welcome thanks

Comments

• Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'd recommend a 3550 which would allow you growth into other tracks (CCNP:Sec, CCNP:R&S, etc), and they're only about $60-80 on ebay. Plus, you could use the routing functionality of the 3550 in other scenarios which can really come in handy.

That being said, do you absolutely HAVE to have one? Probably not. But you don't want to handicap yourself either.
  • twellsktwellsk Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks 3550 it is I am type of person who learns by tinkering and breaking things to put it right didn't have lab for ccent and scored 872 got lab for Icnd 2 scored 972 makes a massive diff for my mind set.

Last question would 1 be enough and I'm assuming what I've read I can just get a smi version and flash to emi

Once again thanks much appreciated googling labs setups is brain freeze
  • DCDDCD Member Posts: 473 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If you are going do the CCNP Sec I think your going to need a 5510 and don't have a heart attack when you see the price on ebay.