Software testing certs

Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
I know this has been brought up before, but when I searched the last results were from 2012, and no one had a real answer...

as I posted in another thread, I got a new job that is a little Networking and a little Software testing... networking is my strength and why they brought me on, but software testing is pretty new to me...

I am ditching the CCNP (for now) since it won't be too relevant to my new role. I'm going to take the CWTS just to get some of the wireless basics down.. but I need some software testing studies...

I did some research and I think it is between the CFTL from Foundation Level in a Nutshell - ISTQB® International Software Testing Qualifications Board and the CAST from Software Certifications ~ Certified Associate in Software Testing (CAST)

Any thoughts?
Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark

Comments

• Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    I have read that the ISTQB certs are more prevalent in the UK, and the CAST is more popular in the US, but i read that on a random message board that is far inferior to TE, so I figured I would check with the experts...

also, I like Skillport and they have a course for ISTQB, but not for the CAST

free studying is good
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
    well, I went to Dice.com and just did a few searches, pretty much a no contest, way more hits for ISTQB and CTFL
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    In software testing, strong domain knowledge (CCIE/CCNP/CCNA) trumps any testing certifications and is most directly correlated to pay-grade. Testing certifications are not very highly esteemed in the USA. I would, however, recommend reading a book on testing so you can understand the differences between sanity, regression, feature/function, system testing.. and also white/grey/black box. Also, some idea how requirements, functional specifications, and test plans fit together and how to construct a test plan would come in handy. Scripting skill can be helpful; an alternative to learning scripting is to master common tools. If you don't have a CS degree, it's the area where you're more likely to be able to compete well and excel.
  • ZoovashZoovash Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I don't know anything about CAST but i currently hold the ISTQB Foundation. At the beginning of the year my employer let me and my colleagues understand that we have to get certified in software testing. It wasn't really a must but our client from US demands it. It's a rather easy exam, our main source for studying was Foundations of Software Testing ISTQB Certification: Rex Black, Erik van Veenendaal, Dorothy Graham: 9781408044056: Amazon.com: Books , at least this is what we were provided with. It was a little difficult at first, since it was different from our hands-on experience. We later found out that you can adapt the testing process and lifecycle to fit a specific project. Hands-on experience will always triumph and your project's behavior could differ a lot from what you're taught here. It just provides a standard baseline about software testing, but you can alter that to fit the needs of your project.
    It souldn't take more than 1 month to study for the exam.

Good luck!
    Thanks Zoovash,

I am going for the ISTQB foundational cert, I am using Skillport, and that book is available on Books 24x7, so I will load that on the Kindle Fire.

@NetworkVeteran - I probably won't go beyond Foundational level certs for Software testing, I just figured it would help me get used to the terminology, after this I will go back to Networking and Wireless studies
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark