Looking for way to transfer application programs to new PC

earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
Both PCs have Windows XP but the one in use is old and on its last legs. It has a few programs that I can't get the original discs for (they still use these) and they don't want to fork out money for another office install either (they still have office 2000 on here). Looking for ways to transfer the programs themselves to the new PC that wont take a real long time or extra expense.
No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.

Comments

• earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I found a program called pickmeapp and it worked transferring a few things between vms but would like something that's not in beta.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • KeithCKeithC Member Posts: 147
    This may sound stupid but have you tried to copy the directory to the new computer? Some old programs don't install dll's and the such.
  • datgirldatgirl Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
    KeithC wrote: »
    This may sound stupid but have you tried to copy the directory to the new computer? Some old programs don't install dll's and the such.

I have utilized this method a few times, been successful at times, and at other times not so much.
  • ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    One workaround is to P to V them so the old computer is accessible. You might get lucky with a directory copy, and many programs work if you find, export, and import their reg entries (though you'll need to make some chances if the destination is 64-bit and the app is 32-bit), but this can be a big hassle and still not work. I would probably just go the VM route, especially if they're older applications.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340