Masters in IT

NavyITNavyIT Member Posts: 171
I know these kinds of threads have been beaten to death, but I need some ideas/opinions on Masters programs. The things that are a must:

-Security Related
-Prefer to not have to take GRE

Tuition is not a problem as I will have all of my GI Bill benefits to pay for my Masters.

I am considering the Cybersecurity program at UMUC right now, because that is where I will be getting my Bachelors from (in October). I like the idea, but something about the name "Cybersecurity" throws me off.

Does anyone know of any well-known schools that offer security related masters programs?

Thanks!
A.S. - Computer Networking: Cisco
B.S. - Computer & Network Security

Comments

• aaronwaaronw Member Posts: 24 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Brandeis University has an M.S. Information Security program that meets your requirements.
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    See my thread on the three MSISA programs I've been accepted into with some listed pros and cons here:

http://www.techexams.net/forums/jobs-degrees/91601-admitted-into-norwich-wgu-iowa-state-msisa-programs-decisions-decisions.html
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • NavyITNavyIT Member Posts: 171
    Thanks for the info guys. After looking at the other suggested schools, I'm definitely interested in Norwich.
    A.S. - Computer Networking: Cisco
    B.S. - Computer & Network Security
  • typfromdacotypfromdaco Member Posts: 96 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The only problem I ever had with my research into Norwich was the requirement that you must conduct a case study on the company you work for; the military is not the safest environment to do that in. I did receive an e-mail about a week ago saying that the requirement was changed though and now there is a research paper option, based on a subject that you are interested in. The email also says that they took away the requirements for minimum work experience, certifications in information security, and training. They now look at you holistically and consider your work experience, military service, education background, and certifications and training. I am starting to look at the program again, Norwich is a very good school in the military community.

Also, there is a sticky under IT for a master list of B&M schools with degrees that lists the best schools, and many of them offer degrees that you are interested in.
    2015 certification goals: [ X] ICND2
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Typfromdaco, in addition to the case study for your employer and the research paper, you can also do an industry based case study where you apply the material to a particular industry as a whole, rather than a single company. So you would cater the material to the unique security needs of let's say the banking industry. Also I have confirmed with the organization based cased study you don't have to do YOUR employer, but can find any company who would be willing to let you use them. For example some small business might not have whole dedicated InfoSec staff and could use someone doing the reviews and recommendations.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • sratakhinsratakhin Member Posts: 818
    Check out Dakota State University. I was told that GRE requirement can be waived.
  • jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Davenport University also has their program online from what I've been told.
    You don't have to have the GRE. If you got the Security+ within the last three years, you should be alright.

Information Assurance, MSIA | Davenport University
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • dmoore44dmoore44 Member Posts: 646
    Check out this thread: http://www.techexams.net/forums/jobs-degrees/53985-master-list-b-m-colleges-offering-online-degrees.html

There are several options that I have posted on the last few pages.
    Graduated Carnegie Mellon University MSIT: Information Security & Assurance Currently Reading Books on TensorFlow
  • PolynomialPolynomial Member Posts: 365
    aaronw wrote: »
    Brandeis University has an M.S. Information Security program that meets your requirements.

I'm doing Brandeis's online IT Management degree and probably the Project Management one after that.

Its pretty solid stuff. Its more expensive than say, WGU, but the name recognition in the higher ed capital of like the world (Boston) is so relevant to me and Brandeis has a solid reputation. Degrees are no different than their physically attended degree program.