Options

Project+ entry level jobs

ogabobogabob Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello, I passed my Project+ Exam in may and I was looking to get an entry level job as a project manager, business analyst or something in that line. I am kinda new to IT and I was looking for the best way to get my foot in. All this is new to me and I was looking for the best way to get started.

Comments

• Options
    burfectburfect Member Posts: 128
    ogabob wrote: »
    Hello, I passed my Project+ Exam in may and I was looking to get an entry level job as a project manager, business analyst or something in that line. I am kinda new to IT and I was looking for the best way to get my foot in. All this is new to me and I was looking for the best way to get started.

Curious as to some responses on this as well...
  • Options
    krjaykrjay Member Posts: 290
    I'm an aspiring PM myself, I was in the same boat as you about a year ago. What I learned is that it's tough to find an entry level project management role. You might get lucky and find a project coordinator type role where you basically jockey Microsoft Project and print gantt charts. At the company I currently work for, all of our new PMs are basically groomed. For example if they wanted a PM that has a networking background they will determine who is the most experienced individual in the networking field and ask them if they want to transition to a PM role. Not everyone wants to, and not everyone ends up working out, but I've never seen anyone hired from outside the company for a PM role.

Of course this is only a single example, and PMs get hired from outside companies. But in my limited experience project managers are at the top of their class in a certain field, and end up managing projects in said field.
    2014 Certification Goals: 70-410 [ ] CCNA:S [ ] Linux+ [ ]
  • Options
    TechGuy215TechGuy215 Member Posts: 404 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would imagine being a PM would require experience in some facet of the IT field, even for entry level. Do you have any experience, be it HD, Net Admin, Sys Admin, Infosec, etc...? Would probably make you more appealing to a perspective employer. Then again, we have a few PM's at my company who don't know their a** from a hole in the ground when it comes to IT, yet they are here. In any case, I hope you find what your looking for. I was thinking of pursuing the PMP certification somewhere down the road.
    * Currently pursuing: PhD: Information Security and Information Assurance
    * Certifications: CISSP, CEH, CHFI, CCNA:Sec, CCNA:R&S, CWNA, ITILv3, VCA-DCV, LPIC-1, A+, Network+, Security+, Linux+, Project+, and many more...
    * Degrees: MSc: Cybersecurity and Information Assurance; BSc: Information Technology - Security; AAS: IT Network Systems Administration
  • Options
    CoolMikeCoolMike Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    TechGuy215 wrote: »
    I would imagine being a PM would require experience in some facet of the IT field, even for entry level. Do you have any experience, be it HD, Net Admin, Sys Admin, Infosec, etc...? Would probably make you more appealing to a perspective employer. Then again, we have a few PM's at my company who don't know their a** from a hole in the ground when it comes to IT, yet they are here. In any case, I hope you find what your looking for. I was thinking of pursuing the PMP certification somewhere down the road.

Great Answer! I also would love to become a PM one day but my uncle who is kinda of a hybrid PM / Business Analyst in NYC said to start with Business Analyst because the pay is pretty close and getting the jobs are generally easier and kind of like a stepping stone to PM. He also stated that PM can be one of the most stressful jobs and since the pay isn't much higher than BA and in some cases BA passes it, to just stick with BA if I (or you) like it. Im gonna try to apply for a Business Analyst spot with Prudential in a few weeks and see how it goes. There is also spots above Business Analyst that are right in line with it but still not exactly PM (No stress or less)

Just my 2 cents but mostly opinion and word of mouth.

Good Luck!