Continuing school quandary...

Cpl.KlingerCpl.Klinger Member Posts: 159
OK, so I've started my new "helpdesk" job, and I love it, believe it or not. There's a ton of room for advancement in the company, the advancement can happen as quick as you desire (and if you put forth the effort), the pay and benefits rock, and I really have the desire to pour myself into this job unlike anyplace I've worked before. This is the best job I have ever had. I know some people may be saying it's still the honeymoon period, and it may be, but it beats every other job I've had, hands down.

However, I am in school at WGU, currently as software development which I'm not exactly a fan of. I have 15 courses to go, 52 credit hours. If I switch to basic IT, I have the same amount. I've feel like I've lost the drive for school, I feel like I'm just adding to my student loan debt for no reason (which is already huge), and I already have two degrees (a BA-Soc, and an MBA-Human Resources). I have a ton of management experience, and I wouldn't mind going back into management with my current company and the path to do that exists. In addition, there are a few certs that I would want to get on my own anyway (Linux+, Red Hat related, OS X related and so on). And I can afford to get the materials and take the tests on my own now. I feel school just messes up the balance of time between me-family-work. That, and I hate feeling like the permanent student. I've been doing the higher ed bit basically since 2000 with a few 7-8 month breaks here and there. I'm tired.

I value the opinions of folks on this board. And I think I know what I want to do, and I think it's the right decision for the circumstances. What say you?
"If you can't fix it, you don't own it"
"Great things have small beginnings."

Comments

• redzredz Member Posts: 265 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'll say exactly what you don't want to hear: Power through WGU; you've got the light at the end of the tunnel now - you're over half way. Promise yourself (and your family) that you'll be done with school for (X) number of years following graduation. Appropriate balance is vital to keeping your motivation, and it sounds like you've learned that the hard way.

These things will help the upward mobility in your current company by showing your initiative and desire to advance both yourself and your career. They'll also be weighed against other candidates for promotion, not just that you have a degree, but that you pursued it while working full time also shows your commitment to becoming a more well-rounded, educated, and valuable employee.

EDIT: There are plenty of arguments to the contrary, but I highly doubt you'll hear many on a forum built around advancement of knowledge.
  • Cpl.KlingerCpl.Klinger Member Posts: 159
    I've already earned one degree while working full time, actually (my MBA). Just the fact that I'm looking at up to another 1 and a half years to complete the degree has got me going crazy. I already feel like I'm trying to juggle 15 priorities at once, some stuff has to drop, and it feels like my family or home responsibilities keep being the thing that gets dropped.

• milieumilieu Member Posts: 41 ■□□□□□□□□□
    It doesn't sound like you are very far along in your degree, considering your other degrees should have eliminated most/all general ed units. Looks like you've done 5 classes, so roughly 25% done. You want certifications that are not offered by WGU, so you'd have to do them on top of WGU classes. This job offers advancement, but you may have trouble chasing advancement at the job, finishing WGU, and having a family life.

The amount spent on WGU thus far is a sunk cost. You owe it no matter what. Spending more money on it doesn't change that.

My suggestion is that you take a leave of absence from WGU. That can give you up to 3 months to consider what you want to do. If things change at the job, you can return and finish the degree. If things go well at the job, then quit at the end of the leave of absence.
  • eansdadeansdad Member Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Why did you go for a BS in IT when you have a BS and an MBA? If you wanted the IT related learning you could have just done the CompTIA trio or gone for an MS in IT management at WGU.

In your situation you might want to stop the growing debt at WGU and just work on a cert at a time. Would be cheaper and without the constraints. As for the certs OSX I believe they are only good for a year before you need to retake them.
    milieu wrote: »
    It doesn't sound like you are very far along in your degree, considering your other degrees should have eliminated most/all general ed units. Looks like you've done 5 classes, so roughly 25% done. You want certifications that are not offered by WGU, so you'd have to do them on top of WGU classes. This job offers advancement, but you may have trouble chasing advancement at the job, finishing WGU, and having a family life.

The amount spent on WGU thus far is a sunk cost. You owe it no matter what. Spending more money on it doesn't change that.

My suggestion is that you take a leave of absence from WGU. That can give you up to 3 months to consider what you want to do. If things change at the job, you can return and finish the degree. If things go well at the job, then quit at the end of the leave of absence.

My signature isn't updated, so that's not where I am right now. I still am looking at 3 12 credit hour terms after this one though.

eansdad wrote: »
    Why did you go for a BS in IT when you have a BS and an MBA? If you wanted the IT related learning you could have just done the CompTIA trio or gone for an MS in IT management at WGU.

I was in a job I hated and wanted out, then switched jobs and stopped WGU for a while.
    In your situation you might want to stop the growing debt at WGU and just work on a cert at a time. Would be cheaper and without the constraints. As for the certs OSX I believe they are only good for a year before you need to retake them.

I know the deal on the OS X certs, and I'm ready to live with that. I just feel like what I'm doing now doesn't get me where I want to go.

• BundimanBundiman Member Posts: 201
    I would love to say I am trying hard to get through my classes for WGU but to be honest I am not. I am studying maybe two to three nights a week for two to four hours a night and knocking out objective assessments on the weekends and have completed 48 credit in 4 months. I even took a two week break because I hated the QBT1 class so much. I think if you tried to power through it you could finish your degree up next semester and be done. The additional IT classes can only help you with this new profession you want to be part of.
    Bachelor of Science, IT - Security Emphasis (Start Date: Apr 1st, 2013)
    Bachelor of Science, IT - Security Emphasis (Completed: Apr 25t, 2014)
  • milieumilieu Member Posts: 41 ■□□□□□□□□□
    My signature isn't updated, so that's not where I am right now. I still am looking at 3 12 credit hour terms after this one though.
    Ah, OK. That makes it tougher because you are pretty close.

Is there any way you could really focus on WGU for six months and just kill that coursework, and get the degree in one term? I don't know how tough your remaining classes are. In software, about half of my remaining courses are Microsoft MTAs, and they are seriously easy. Read the 6 chapters, take a few practice tests, and I can refer for the exam in a week. I'm hoping for about 30 units this term, and I am pretty slack about it.

When does your term end? Put in for a term break right now. That will give you some time to think about things, and whether you want to continue or not. It also gives your new job some time where you can focus on it a bit more, and see if these opportunities are really going to happen. I've had jobs where it looked fantastic, but the promises never really came true.