What would life be like if you had not got into IT?

VAHokie56VAHokie56 Member Posts: 783
Someone elses post made me think of this, thought it would be interesting to see what other paths people where following...

I would most likely still be working as superintendent on a golf course since my actual degree is in turf grass. Have to say its not a bad gig getting off every day at 2:30 ( start at 6am) and playing 9 holes with minimal stress. I would not have half the cool toys I have now, sick car and new house I just bought because my salary would be far less. I love what I do now because I nerd out on Cisco and my job challenges me. So where would you be if you had said " nah IT is for geeks" and did something else?
.ιlι..ιlι.
CISCO
"A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish" - Ty Webb
Reading:NX-OS and Cisco Nexus Switching: Next-Generation Data Center Architectures

Comments

• lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    Possibly Pharm sales...I'd be a lot richer at this point icon_wink.gif
  • vanquish23vanquish23 Member Posts: 224
    Still bagging groceries for 7 bucks an hour.
    He who SYNs is of the devil, for the devil has SYN'ed and ACK'ed from the beginning. For this purpose, that the ACK might destroy the works of the devil.
  • QordQord Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Who knows, something manual-labor-ish for me. Either scaffolding, truck driving/heavy equipment, maybe even enlisted Navy again.
  • IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    World domination... I'd be bored and that would seem like a good use of my time.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I probably would have stayed in the military and made a career out of it.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • coffeeluvrcoffeeluvr Member Posts: 734 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I would still be a bean countericon_scratch.gif....doing taxes, reconciling accounts...all the fun stuff Accountants doicon_cry.gif. Actually, it was not all bad....got to travel a lot, which is fun when you are young and single.
    "Something feels funny, I must be thinking too hard. - Pooh"
  • eansdadeansdad Member Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I probably would have stayed in the military and made a career out of it.

Yup...Same here...
  • AnonymouseAnonymouse Member Posts: 509 ■■■■□□□□□□
    vanquish23 wrote: »
    Still bagging groceries for 7 bucks an hour.

I'm with this guy.
  • blueberriesblueberries Banned Posts: 138
    <<< Male Sex Symbol. Possibly the next Justin Bieber.
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If I had given up on college altogether, I'd probabaly be in retail management by now, since I was already on track to be in a management training program when I quit my retail job.

Otherwise, probably pharmacy, since that is where I was leaning before I got into computer science.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • glenn_33glenn_33 Member Posts: 113 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'd probably still be rolling burritos...icon_rolleyes.gif
    A+/N+/S+/CCNA:RS/CCNA:Sec
  • redzredz Member Posts: 265 ■■■□□□□□□□
    My other option was a math scholarship. I don't know what people who major in math do. I assume I would be adding numbers to other numbers in arbitrary fashion while someone paid me.
  • kiki162kiki162 Member Posts: 635 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Landscape Architect and on the side... professional drinker :)

Couldn't see how I could be making money with either. But that's where I was headed 10-15 yrs ago.

Now if I got a salary to be "mommy" plus my job I have now... that would be all I would ever need
  • kanecainkanecain Member Posts: 186 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I ran a strip club called "The Glitter Factory" where we specialized in Japanese midgets.
    WGU - Bachelors of Science - Information Security
    Start Date: Jan. 1st, 2012
    Courses:
    Done!!!
  • DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Scientists, either continued in Zoology or maybe retrained as a Physicists.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • blueberriesblueberries Banned Posts: 138
    DevilWAH wrote: »
    Scientists, either continued in Zoology or maybe retrained as a Physicists.

Its terrible that anyone in the STEM range is financially discouraged from proceeding with their studies, but I do know guys with Master's in Biology and Physics who are working in IT because natural sciences don't pay.
  • binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
    I would have been 'free' from learning over and over again things that I don't need to learn, but must because some naive HR/manager says so :)
  • pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Structural Engineer – which is the path I started down in college. I’d probably be making more money, and dealing with fewer morons on a daily basis.
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT
  • DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Its terrible that anyone in the STEM range is financially discouraged from proceeding with their studies, but I do know guys with Master's in Biology and Physics who are working in IT because natural sciences don't pay.

I work in IT because I love IT, nothing to do with no money in science. I still work in a science research institute, and its will not be the last I work in. And the pay i get working for a public funded institute if less than half I was offered to stay in the commercial service management world. The great thing about working in science is that the people doing it do it for the job not for the money and it means is a great family atmosphere.

There is plenty of money in science to survive and the feeling of achievement and being the first to work on and discover new ideas more than makes up for the drop in pay. Only reason I moved to IT is I am a much better network engineer than I ever was a Zoologist, and I would rather sit in the wings watching the scientists deliver there discoveries knowing that my work has help them. then in a 9-5 grind getting paid the earth.

If you work in a private Science research there is plenty of money around, mega bucks, but science is one field that takes over your life and mostly the best scientists are the ones who would not have a clue whats on they paycheck, because all they care about is the research and pushing the boundaries.

Sadly I think IT is one of the fields that even with out being a good engineer you can end up getting paid lots, and this draws people to it for the money rather than the job. So I get to deal with a lot of meodica engineers who get paid enough and have got stagnate and lazy.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
    pitviper wrote: »
    Structural Engineer – which is the path I started down in college. I’d probably be making more money, and dealing with fewer morons on a daily basis.

Liked the part about "dealing with fewer morons on a daily basis" :)
  • kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    Originally tested to be a fighter-pilot. Would of pursued that.
    Otherwise being a pharmacist always interested me.
  • VAHokie56VAHokie56 Member Posts: 783
    Good responses...I was interested to see how many peoples responses had options, like they did not really need to switch fields for money but where just generally interested in IT.

I am also all for dealing with less morons AKA project managers icon_wink.gif
    .ιlι..ιlι.
    CISCO
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish" - Ty Webb
    Reading:NX-OS and Cisco Nexus Switching: Next-Generation Data Center Architectures
  • MSP-ITMSP-IT Member Posts: 752 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would still be a drug pusher.

And by drugs, I mean caffeine. I was a Barista at the 'bucks.
  • About7NarwhalAbout7Narwhal Member Posts: 761
    Rebar Fabrication.. or disability. The big drive for me to chase my IT dream was a spinal injury. I can't do the manual labor stuff anymore. Even now though, I am considering school for Biology and Psychology. Always loved the topics in school.