Question regarding WGU admission requirements?

CoolMikeCoolMike Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
I noticed you need some sort of prior knowledge when applying for any of the IT majors.

I have 3 years helpdesk experience + my A+ Cert but no college credit (well maybe a few from 2 semester but I did really bad) Will I be ok with admissions or am I not technically qualified?

Reason I asked is because I thought it said you need an associates or high level courses completed.

Comments

• QordQord Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I believe your work experience and A+ will fulfill the requirement.
  • srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Your A+ alone should meet the requirement.
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • SlithySlithy Member Posts: 50 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Just copy pasted this off of the WGU Texas site (I'm assuming the other sites will have matching stuff)

You can find the paragraph at the bottom of: IT Degree Texas - Texas Online Degree - WGU Texas College of Information Technology

"WGU Texas Admission Process

To enroll in a WGU Texas IT bachelor’s degree program, you must:
    • Be a Texas resident and provide proof of residence.
    • Possess a high school diploma or its equivalent.
    • Demonstrate IT experience through at least one of the following four methods:
      • Have earned an associate’s degree in IT or equivalent (A.S. or A.A.S. acceptable)
      • Have completed the following high-level IT coursework within the last five years:
        • Two or more upper-level Networking courses OR
        • Two or more upper-level Object-Oriented Programming courses (Java, C#, etc.) OR
        • One or more upper-level Operating Systems course OR
        • One or more upper-level Information Security and Assurance course
      • Hold transferable IT certifications earned within the last five years
      • Submit a resume showing three-plus years of IT work experience
    You will also be required to take and pass Western Governors University’s online Readiness Assessment. This test helps determine your likelihood for success in a WGU Texas degree program."

So you have a transferable cert and have 3+ years of IT experience. That would qualify you under 2 of the 4 methods (of which only 1 is required).
  • CoolMikeCoolMike Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I read those requirements like five times before I posted a thread and I now just realized the bullet points under demonstrate IT experience are more recessed than the rest which now explains that my A= is good to fufill the requirements LOL.
    Such is life - good luck with the application!

(I did reread the same thing multiple times - it is poorly formatted. The clue is in the "four" but they should have changed the format for the 2nd layer of bullets)
    Slithy wrote: »

(I did reread the same thing multiple times - it is poorly formatted. The clue is in the "four" but they should have changed the format for the 2nd layer of bullets)

Thanks sir. Likewise!

PS did someone refer you already to WGU? I'm still waiting on a referral if you possibly have? Would be highly appreciated =D

P.S. doesn't look like my Pm is working yet after contacting the admins and hitting 10 posts so you may have to email me.

Thanks in advance!
    Yes, I received a referral but I don't think I can give them yet. My email to the admin didn't seem to work but after using the "contact us"(at bottom of page) it did happen after about a day. If you have already done this(and probably in any case because of the 10 posts) it should just be a matter of waiting.
    Yes, I received a referral but I don't think I can give them yet. My email to the admin didn't seem to work but after using the "contact us"(at bottom of page) it did happen after about a day. If you have already done this(and probably in any case because of the 10 posts) it should just be a matter of waiting.

Ah alright I figured there was like a day wait. I hit 10 posts last night also so I figure it'll happen sometime today.

Thanks again!