Options

Best cybersecurity jobs with security +

Kimura410Kimura410 Member Posts: 71 ■■■□□□□□□□
I have googled this and found some decent information but most of it was off topic for what I am really looking for. It tells me the types of certifications that are out there or it gives me job listings for security guards lol. I will be taking the security + exam shortly and when I get it, I'd like to know what jobs to apply for.

So, what jobs can you get when you have this cert?

Comments

• Options
    ChooseLifeChooseLife Member Posts: 941 ■■■■■■■□□□
    What experience do you have?
    “You don’t become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard that you become great in the process.” (c) xkcd #896

GetCertified4Less
    - discounted vouchers for certs
  • Options
    None yet, besides 4 college courses. I will start out at whatever job will get my foot in the IT door, my only idea is a help desk position, and I am planning to get my A+ right after I obtain my security +. I am only taking security + first because my most recent class was a preparation for the exam and the content is fresh in my head.

I know I won't get a prestigious job right away with simply a few certs, but I guess I am just wondering what jobs would be available to me in the future. Curious as to what jobs the security + cert caters to.
  • Options
    aspiringsoulaspiringsoul Member Posts: 314
    Don't waste your time with the A+ after completing the Security+. I would focus your efforts on something else (MCSA, CCNA) or other information security certifications depending on what type of position you are seeking.The A+ would not be valuable to you unless you are seeking a help desk position. The Security+ is a good entry level Information Security certification to prepare you for more advanced certifications.
    Education: MS-Information Security and Assurance from Western Governors University, BS-Business Information Systems from Indiana Wesleyan University, AAS-Computer Network Systems - ITT Tech,
  • Options
    aspiringsoulaspiringsoul Member Posts: 314
    Education: MS-Information Security and Assurance from Western Governors University, BS-Business Information Systems from Indiana Wesleyan University, AAS-Computer Network Systems - ITT Tech,
  • Options
    NavyITNavyIT Member Posts: 171
    I agree with getting a higher level cert after Security+, BUT keep in mind some helpdesk jobs (if that's where you're looking to start) do require A+.
    A.S. - Computer Networking: Cisco
    B.S. - Computer & Network Security
  • Options
    Arod95Arod95 Member Posts: 216 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would say if you are just trying to get your foot into the door. A+ or MCSA Windows 7 will help you with a help desk position. But in Network entry level I would say Network+, CCENT/CCNA, MCSA Server. Security wise there's many other certs but depending on the vendor they could be very expensive.
  • Options
    About 60% or so of entry level jobs I have seen on monster.com ask for either A+, network +, or security + required. But yeah I am glad I made this post because you guys made me realize I would be better off taking a higher level security exam rather than the A+.

I honestly just didn't know any job titles for the security field. I ended up typing a different search query and found this so I think I found the answer to my question. Here's the link if anyone's interested.

Cybersecurity Roles and Job Titles | The Department of Computer Science
  • Options
    binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
    I would be careful expecting a job in security with a security+.

Security is a very specialized field and you need to know a lot about IT and then too much about security.
  • Options
    Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    binarysoul wrote: »
    I would be careful expecting a job in security with a security+.

Security is a very specialized field and you need to know a lot about IT and then too much about security.

Absolutely. With security+ alone you will have a hard time getting those security guard positions :D General IT experience + higher level certs will help you get into security. Of course it depends on the area of security. Did you choose a particular one?
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
  • Options
    redzredz Member Posts: 265 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If you want to break into security with just a Sec+ and your good looks, find companies in the Northern Virginia/DC area. There are actually a lot more mids and seniors in that area than juniors; I found an okay job as a Jr ISSE with nothing but a Sec+ and a few years of experience. If I were you, I'd get a helpdesk job and finish out college, then look into jobs in that area for security positions. Having the degree will increase your bill rate (and companies like that). However, I've seen postings looking for someone with a Sec+ and 1 year general IT experience offering to get the person a clearance for Junior positions. They really aren't that competitive in that area because there are always so many companies trying to find new meat.

It provided a decent amount of leverage for companies to pay for my new certifications once I was in, and allowed me to get a lot of applicable security experience to my fancy new job back home.

EDIT: It isn't a definite, especially with everything going to SPAWAR right now, but it's an opportunity that people looking into security (who are willing to move) may be interested in pursuing.