Options

Project Management VS Business Analyst

CoolMikeCoolMike Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey Guys and Gals,

I know this isn't entirely related to IT but I figured id see if theres anyone here who already has these related jobs.

I've been doing IT Helpdesk for a small healthcare center now for about 1.3 years and previously work with Geek Squad for 3 years. I never had hard interest in Networking or Programming and Server/Database stuff does interest me a little more but not as much as Project Management field/role. My uncle is a PM/BA in NYC and said since I like and have an interest in PM, to look into BA instead since you kinda get the same benefits from it and alot less stress.

I dont have a degree yet (looking into WGU, awaiting a referral code) but im gonna do WGU's general IT BS figuring it'll help out in the long run and I would like to PM/BA for IT.

Does anyone have any advice in regards to getting into PM/BA sooner or who has worked with this two jobs? I kinda need some guidance since my current job doesn't have any PM's or BA's

Thanks ahead for the feedback!

Comments

• Options
    SpacedSpaced Member Posts: 47 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If I understood your question, you are thinking of getting a BSIT and then BA with PM? I wouldn't bother with the second degree since all you need to be accepted as a PM is the cert and with the BSIT you can potentially go into IT project management. Keep mind that with or without a degree the PM cert requires 5 years of exp. Also, WGU is going to be launching a BSIT with a business analysis focus concentrating on databases. I was told this will occur sometime next year.
    WGU: BSIT - Network Administration
  • Options
    Sorry I should of clarified - BA meaning Business Analyst. Great info though. I wanna get started with school ASAP so i'm guessing they would let me change majors when that happens if I decide to...
  • Options
    ahardinjrahardinjr Member Posts: 37 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If you're interested in being a business analyst, I'd go on some job search engines and review business analyst positions. You will see that the responsibilities vary widely from one job to the next; moreover, there is are "IT" business analysts as well as general business analysts.

If you want to be and IT business analyst, the WGU B.S. Business - IT Management would be a good idea; if you want to be a general business analyst then potentially steer towards the WGU B.S. Business Management degree.

Also, you if you are somewhat interested in project management, the Project+ or CAPM certs are a good start. ITIL is also a great certification to obtain.
    WGU MS:IT - Network Management
    MBA - Information Assurance Mgmt
  • Options
    ahardinjr wrote: »
    If you're interested in being a business analyst, I'd go on some job search engines and review business analyst positions. You will see that the responsibilities vary widely from one job to the next; moreover, there is are "IT" business analysts as well as general business analysts.

If you want to be and IT business analyst, the WGU B.S. Business - IT Management would be a good idea; if you want to be a general business analyst then potentially steer towards the WGU B.S. Business Management degree.

Also, you if you are somewhat interested in project management, the Project+ or CAPM certs are a good start. ITIL is also a great certification to obtain.

This is great info also. I appreciate it. For some reason I didnt see the It Management BS but its good to know.