Options

query regarding bandwidth management on router

pannupanditpannupandit Member Posts: 92 ■■□□□□□□□□
hello ...
actually in my company we are facing a situation.scenario is that we have 2 Mbps net connection.serial interface is directly connected to internet.and we want that our 1 ethernet interface shouldn,t consume more than 256 kbps of bandwidth and no limit on other interface.so if anybody is having any idea regarding that..then please help me.AM ccna and dont have any knowledge regarding managing bandwidth in this way.tell me is there any command available.plz look into the matter
Regards
Pannu

Comments

• Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    ccna and dont have any knowledge regarding managing bandwidth in this way.tell me is there any command available
    Right -- Quality of Service is introduced in the CCNP and covered a little more in the QoS (CCIP and CCVP) -- QoS should do what you need.

class-map -- classify traffic
    policy-map -- bandwidth option here
    service-policy -- applies the policy to the interface

That should get you pointed in the right direction to seach the Cisco Documentation for examples -- now that you have the hints on what to look for.

<edited to fix service.... typo --- yeah, I had service-map originally>
    oh... to make up for that, you can also look for "policing"
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    pannupanditpannupandit Member Posts: 92 ■■□□□□□□□□
    thanx mikej....
    now I will look into QOS .THanx for ur suggession.
    Regards
  • Options
    forbeslforbesl Member Posts: 454
    You can set an input and output rate-limit on your ethernet interface. Without sending you to a link, I suggest you go to interface mode on your router and type in "rate-limit ?" and look at your options. You can set your input or output rate limit in bps, set your normal and max burst rates, and the conform and exceed actions.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    forbesl wrote:
    You can set an input and output rate-limit on your ethernet interface.
    but that's so old-school! :D (and quicker and easier and more obvious)

I guess I've been indoctrinated into MQC icon_eek.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    forbeslforbesl Member Posts: 454
    mikej412 wrote:
    but that's so old-school! :D (and quicker and easier and more obvious)
    icon_lol.gif I figured since he wasn't familiar with B/W management , I'd give him the quick and easy fix. :)