Best and Worst states for Tech jobs ?

reformed1reformed1 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
What are the Best and worst cities / states for Tech jobs ?

I am trying to move from Chicago to Wisconsin and I noticed that there are barely any jobs in Wisconsin (CCNA, MCSE) type.

So how is your area with regards to job openings for tech positions ??

Comments

• TechGuy215TechGuy215 Member Posts: 404 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Information Technology Industry - June 2013 | Indeed.com

The above will give you a pretty good idea of where the most IT related jobs where listed (by City). Also contains position titles, salaries, and keyword searches. I've been using Indeed.com for a long time, infact it's how I found my current job!
    * Currently pursuing: PhD: Information Security and Information Assurance
    * Certifications: CISSP, CEH, CHFI, CCNA:Sec, CCNA:R&S, CWNA, ITILv3, VCA-DCV, LPIC-1, A+, Network+, Security+, Linux+, Project+, and many more...
    * Degrees: MSc: Cybersecurity and Information Assurance; BSc: Information Technology - Security; AAS: IT Network Systems Administration
  • sratakhinsratakhin Member Posts: 818
    Best states - everything on the coasts.
    Worst states - everything in between.
    Pretty much.
  • vanquish23vanquish23 Member Posts: 224
    Atlanta? Ha. Have you seen Cisco keyword searched. 83 results.
    He who SYNs is of the devil, for the devil has SYN'ed and ACK'ed from the beginning. For this purpose, that the ACK might destroy the works of the devil.
  • filkenjitsufilkenjitsu Member Posts: 564 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Chicago is a great job market!
    CISSP, CCNA SP
    Bachelors of Science in Telecommunications - Mt. Sierra College
    Masters of Networking and Communications Management, Focus in Wireless - Keller
  • IsmaeljrpIsmaeljrp Member Posts: 480 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Atlanta is one of the best job markets for IT. And considering the cost of living being so low, and payrates being almost as high as NY. I'm really considering relocating there, search Network Engineer. Plus Cisco isn't the only IT technology.
  • ThePrimetimerThePrimetimer Member Posts: 169 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Well, I'll tell you right now that Montana isn't going to be very high on this list! LOL
    "You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It’s about how hard you can get it and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That’s how winning is done"
  • Moon ChildMoon Child Member Posts: 188 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yeah sometimes where you live can really suck. I live in the middle between the coasts so I can relate. A lot of jobs where I am at are in the trades and not in IT. Co-workers I previously worked with in IT said they moved out to California at first and worked out there because they couldn't find any work around here, then after they got a few years of experience they moved back home and were able to get a job here. IT can be a very tough industry to get into in some parts of the country.
    ... the world seems full of good men--even if there are monsters in it. - Bram Stoker, Dracula
    I moved from Tennessee to Chicago to get past being stuck in entry level work. Will never move back lol!
    CISSP, CCNA SP
  • goldenlightgoldenlight Member Posts: 378 ■■□□□□□□□□
    IM gonna say Northern Virgina near Washington DC.

Be Warned the Cost of Living is HIGH..
    The Only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven't found it keep looking. Don't settle - Steve Jobs
  • loxleynewloxleynew Member Posts: 405
    Here in Denver there are tons of IT jobs strangely. When I was looking about 2 months ago and landed my job there were about 10 new jobs a day posted it seemed like. Maybe that's not as high volume as some other places though.
  • whatthehellwhatthehell Member Posts: 920
    Really liked your link --- very interesting info --- though Graphic design??
    TechGuy215 wrote: »
    Information Technology Industry - June 2013 | Indeed.com

The above will give you a pretty good idea of where the most IT related jobs where listed (by City). Also contains position titles, salaries, and keyword searches. I've been using Indeed.com for a long time, infact it's how I found my current job!
    2017 Goals:
    [ ] Security + [ ] 74-409 [ ] CEH
    Future Goals:
    TBD
  • it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    loxleynew wrote: »
    Here in Denver there are tons of IT jobs strangely. When I was looking about 2 months ago and landed my job there were about 10 new jobs a day posted it seemed like. Maybe that's not as high volume as some other places though.

It isn't that strange. Denver is a NFL city with a huge technology investment. Boulder is one of the top cities in the US for tech startups and the Denver Metro area has Oracle, Microsoft, HP, IBM, basically all the big kahunas. I live within biking distance of a huge Oracle campus (formerly Sun and StorageTek) and Brocade in the Broomfield Tech area. That is just Broomfield, the DTC and Boulder has much more.
  • neo9006neo9006 Member Posts: 195
    That is weird about the graphic design part, go figure I am getting my degree in Web and Media Design, wouldnt mind moving but not to Denver, wife would kill me lol.
    BAAS - Web and Media Design
    Working on A+
    Texas: Dallas/Ft. Worth and Houston
    CISSP, CCNA SP
  • coreyb80coreyb80 Member Posts: 647 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Chicago is a great job market!

I'm going to have to agree with this statement.
    WGU BS - Network Operations and Security
    Completion Date: May 2021
  • ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    TechGuy215 wrote: »
    Really liked your link --- very interesting info --- though Graphic design??
    Hate to jump in and be such a naysayer, but that link tells us absolutely nothing of value. First, the top locations numbers are under "Clicks", not "Postings." This shows where people are clicking on links, not where there are job openings. It's actually showing where there are prospective IT professionals, nothing to speak of the ratio of professionals or at least total eligible workforce to openings (which is the most important piece of data we would need, if not the only piece of any real importance) Second, even if it showed us number of postings based on location, it isn't correlated with eligible workforce size or eligible IT workforce size, so again, we can't get the above ratio from it easily (at all, with IT professionals). Finally, the fact that there are five titles which are clearly not IT in the listing casts serious doubt on the data itself.

This link from the same Indeed states at least gives us something useful about the market, but not the IT market, specifically:
    Where are the Jobs? | Indeed.com

That being said, official BLS unemployment numbers for states or metropolitan areas is going to tell us a lot more about a given job market.

Ultimately, I haven't seen any useful data specifically on IT job openings relative to prospective local employees. This is the data we need to say an area is hot for IT, specifically, without using anecdotes. Since we lack this, we must rely on general employment numbers and anecdotes.

The top cities in that listing are not a bad start. Indeed is a very good source, and I think it will correlate highly with IT professionals, which are almost certainly the most digitized type of job posting (compared to say, food service positions which might simply be advertised with a "help needed" sign). I would argue that it is better than BLS data in this regard, given that BLS data captures a lot of non-IT positions that Indeed really won't reflect. Combine this listing with BLS data and you start to see good states and metros. Combine it with our collective perceptions, and you get a better picture.

SoCal and Seattle are huge for IT, based on what I've seen here, on job searches, and with the knowledge that many (most?) of the biggest names in tech are based out of one or the other. Better markets for developers, perhaps, but still good for infrastructure. I wouldn't like twice at SoCal for most fields, but tech is one I would. I've seen a lot of similar evidence for D.C. and surrounding areas. The federal bureaucracy and related industries (e.g. defense contractors) seem to drive up IT needs in these areas. I've seen a lot of good things about Chicago and Minneapolis/Saint Paul from personal experience, overall economic picture, and other people here and in the industry. The twin cities are particularly great overall, being one of the best combinations of quality of life, cost of living, unemployment, and salaries, and I have to stress from my personal experience that at least at mid-level and above, the market is really, really good. I see a lot of high-level network, storage, security, and generalist systems positions, and more. I have similarly seen fairly good data on Texas and Colorado, and again heard as much from people here and in the industry.

So that gives some choices, and there are a lot of things to consider. I think ultimately you should think more about where you want to live, then go for it as long as the IT job market there is reasonable. Making a bit more relative to cost of living because of IT job scarcity is not necessarily going to make you happy if you live somewhere you don't like.

The only areas I wouldn't really consider too strongly are most rural areas and New Jersey. New Jersey, specifically, has really high cost of living and I haven't seen that even high-end IT salaries accommodate for that. That is based on somewhat deep personal research into job openings there, the overall economic picture there, and again, people in the industry and here at TE.

Personally, I probably won't leave the Twin Cities because of how great it is. If I did, though, Seattle, SoCal, and Denver are probably the only places I'd consider, both for the specific companies (and company cultures) present and for what I view as an ideal lifestyle. That's just me. IMO, you should think about yourself and what you want, do some research, and narrow it down to what makes the most sense. The good news is that IT is a great field to be in in most job markets, so you have a lot of good choices.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Moon ChildMoon Child Member Posts: 188 ■■■□□□□□□□
    loxleynew wrote: »

Maybe I should relocate to Denver.
    ... the world seems full of good men--even if there are monsters in it. - Bram Stoker, Dracula
  • ChitownjediChitownjedi Member Posts: 578 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Moon Child wrote: »
    Maybe I should relocate to Denver.

Denver, I hear, is a great city. I'm partial to going to Austin, TX myself when I relocate.
  • DB CooperDB Cooper Member Posts: 94 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Portland Oregon is pretty good in my opinion, granted I cant compare to other locations. But seems if you have the skills finding a job isn't too hard. Bend, Oregon is a bastard to get into.
  • lilmansdadlilmansdad Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    May 2012 Metropolitan and Nonmetropolitan Area Occupational Employment and Wage Estimates

this has some numbers, not sure how much i would trust them.

Florida bites... icon_sad.gif
  • NyblizzardNyblizzard Member Posts: 332 ■■■■□□□□□□
    New Jersey sucks because everyone is commuting to New York
    O
    /|\
    / \
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    To those in Charlotte, NC, how is IT employment situation?
  • Rell24Rell24 Member Posts: 29 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Austin has a lot of companies moving in and is known as the Silicon Hills. Do I quick google search on Austin and companies such as Dell, Apple, HP, IBM, Google and Rackspace show up. That's where I will be looking when I get out the Army.
  • BigD5XBigD5X Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm from Chicago and I would agree that Chicago has a great IT job market.
    I live in Greenville SC now. IT job market SUCKS!!! Only reason I'm here is because I was married living in Chicago for a year and my wife living here in SC. It was easier for me to relocate than her. My intentions is to move to and work in Atlanta. What I found out, seems that everybody had the same idea and now believe it or not, Atlanta is over crowded with IT engineers. Had 2 interviews in Atlanta, had to compete with over 17 people for the same job. Although I hear TX is booming.
  • focushollywoodfocushollywood Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Check out Atlanta. We moved here 5 years ago from Los Angeles and love it. I have 15 years experience providing tech support and network administration but have not worked in the field at all in 4 years, haven't even set foot in an office in 7 years. I started looking for a job about 2 weeks ago and I have 2 offers on the table now, granted they are not at the level I'm used to but considering how long I've been out of work, mostly due to not looking, I'm thrilled with the offers.