new member, currently studying A+

chipcreepchipcreep Member Posts: 52 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hey everyone. New to the forums here. A couple of months ago, I joined another site. A co-worker at my Help Desk job suggested I join this board since I'm currently studying for my A+. So far, it looks very informative.

Comments

• Kopite_21Kopite_21 Member Posts: 194 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Welcome to Techexams!
  • Snow.brosSnow.bros Member Posts: 832 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I am also impressed with it too, welcome to the forum good luck for your exams!!!!icon_wink.gif
  • chipcreepchipcreep Member Posts: 52 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks everyone. I plan on taking the exams a month from now. I doubt I will take them on the same day, however, but I know I shouldn't wait too long before I take the second exam. Any recommendations?
  • Moon ChildMoon Child Member Posts: 188 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Welcome and good luck with the A+ exam. I am new to the forum too.
    ... the world seems full of good men--even if there are monsters in it. - Bram Stoker, Dracula
  • AHarrisonAHarrison Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    chipcreep wrote: »
    Thanks everyone. I plan on taking the exams a month from now. I doubt I will take them on the same day, however, but I know I shouldn't wait too long before I take the second exam. Any recommendations?
    I took the tests back to back on the same day and it was a less than stellar experience. While I was still reading the CompTIA introduction at the beginning of the test, my stomach was already growling loud enough for those around me to hear.

My recommendation is to take it anywhere from the same day (but several hours after the first test) up to a week at most. There's only so much last minute cramming you can do and you don't want to just rehash your reviewing to the point where you actually start forgetting any details you might need to remember.
  • Arod95Arod95 Member Posts: 216 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Welcome to the forums, and good luck with the exam. I'm currently new to here to, and I agree with AHarrison when I did my A+ exams I did not want to wait to long in between cause there is so much you could cram without pushing out the old information. My teacher told me that 701 was hardware and 702 was software. That was a load of crap I felt as though the test was a mix of both and they just decided to make 2 exams compared 1 giant exam. A week at most I recommend, and even though I took 700 series there shouldnt be that much of a difference, but study printers I had a lot of printing diagnostics questions on both exams that the one thing that killed my test score. I passed 701 by 5 points. Basically a question most likely. Anyways Good luck!
    I might try to take them on the same day if its not too expensive. I'm fairly nervous about taking them because I'm so new to IT but I've been pretty adamant about studying.

I'm currently watching the A+ video training on CBT nuggets that my job set up for me. I read Mike Meyers Passport to A+ once and now I'm taking notes on index cards through the book. I've taken the 801 practice exam that came with the Mike Meyers book twice and I've done poorly. I'm not done taking notes or watching the videos but I am getting nervous because I'd like to take the actual exams in a month. I'll be done with the videos/index cards in a week and a half probably and I was gonna give myself two weeks to study my notes like crazy and try to master the practice exams. Does it seem like I'm doing enough? I am currently an intern at a help desk job which has helped with my studying.
  • survivor030406survivor030406 Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    +1 on the index card notes, CBT nuggets, and Mike Meyers. I also read books by David L Prowse, Cheryl Schmidt and others. Professor Messer on youtube is helpfull to reinforce what you read, and it's free. The getcertified4less site will also give you practice exams when you buy a voucher.
    Any subject that I wanted more detail on I would check wikipedia, technet, etc.. I found that I was digging much deeper than the exam covered.
    I never got anhy scsi questions wrong, since I became familiar with that in music technology before I ever owned a computer. I heard that most people find that a bit difficult.. I got a few questions wrong about printers... So your background experience can make a difference in terms of what you find easy or difficult. I'd say the practice exams will tell you what parts to re-read and make note cards for. And get some hands on experience. How much of the topics seem familiar from your help desk work? Things that are not familiar, just drill those a few times. You have a month before the actual exam. I think you will do fine.
    REMOVED UNNECESSARY QUOTED REPLY

Thanks for the input! I plan on finishing my videos within a week and a half. After that, I'm going to refresh with my book, index cards, and Professor Messer videos for a couple of weeks before taking the test.
  • Snow.brosSnow.bros Member Posts: 832 ■■■■□□□□□□
    REMOVED UNNECESSARY QUOTED REPLY

That will depend on you, if you feel like you are ready and confident that you will pass then you should go ahead and take it. You just take your time study and understand your material, at end of the day it will depend on the knowledge you have gained. Good luck!!!
    I've decided to go ahead and schedule my test for sometime in the next couple of weeks. Done with the videos and done taking index card notes. I've been mastering the practice exams and studying the notes. I feel like I'm getting things down a good amount.

My only worry is memorizing things like DDR RAM speeds, CPU sockets and processors, wireless network technologies, etc.

I'm not really sure I understand how the exams are scored. Also, does anyone know how many questions are on the exams?

I see how it is scored now. I guess there is a max of 90 questions and you have to get at least 675 out of 900 or something close to that.

I decided to get another book and watch the Professor Messer videos on top of what I've done. I'm still going to take the first exam in a month but I want to make sure I'm as good as I can be with studying. Thanks for the tips, everyone!
  • koji1971koji1971 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am also new to the forums and starting my path to my associates degree this September. been a long time coming but I am finally going into the career i always wanted to do. I have been on this forum less then a week and it is loaded with all kinds of helpful information. good luck to you on your a+ exam
  • stayfocusedstayfocused Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Welcome, yes TE does seem like a nice community :)
    koji1971 wrote: »
    I am also new to the forums and starting my path to my associates degree this September. been a long time coming but I am finally going into the career i always wanted to do. I have been on this forum less then a week and it is loaded with all kinds of helpful information. good luck to you on your a+ exam

I've found the practice questions and notes to be very helpful. Also, as you can see above, everyone is genuinely helpful on here.