*New* Nexus 7 - Your thoughts?

BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
Just curious what others are thinking about the new tablet. I finally found a 32gb model yesterday (most places sold out, backordered, etc). Haven't had a whole lot of time to play with it yet, but so far I am impressed. Good color on the screen, quick reaction to what ever gestures Im trying. Wish the sound could have been a bit better though.

Comments

• Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    do you have Skillport? this sounds dumb, but as I put in another thread, the Kindle Fire formats the books from Books 24x7 perfectly, if it does that, then I may get the Nexus instead
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
    I'm also planning to buy one, but not sure if it will be good for reading/watching material from Safari Books membership site. We hope that you will tell us :)
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I want to get a smaller tablet but I was not happy with the first Nexus 7. I will wait a few months to see what issues if any are found after people use them for a while. I see the new one has TRIM support now.
  • zxshockaxzzxshockaxz Member Posts: 108
    I'm curious what made you dissatisfied with the first one. I love mine.

The first nexus, imo, is great for books and videos. So i assume the new one will be just as good/better. what were your thoughts on those two areas, tpatt?
  • jamthatjamthat Member Posts: 304 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think I'll be deciding between either this or the new Nexus 10 whenever it's announced. Leaning towards the 7 though, already have an iPad 2 available for me to use..but we'll see.
    zxshockaxz wrote: »
    I'm curious what made you dissatisfied with the first one. I love mine.

The first nexus, imo, is great for books and videos. So i assume the new one will be just as good/better. what were your thoughts on those two areas, tpatt?

Chrome was terrible on it, scroll lag/stutter. I checked the Android forums and everybody kept saying to switch browsers. Except I wanted Chrome because I sync everything with it. At the time I bought it as my second tablet for reading and web browsing. I tried Dolphin browser but it didn't work properly with some web forums I went to back then.

Also at the time for a while app developers didn't know about the Nexus 7 so apps I used said "your device is not supported". Then the tablet just started slowing down as I used it but I see Google fixed this with TRIM support to address the slow down.

I did check the Play store for apps I regularly use on iOS and see that children's educational apps are coming out. That was kind of a big bummer for me was none of my son's apps he liked on iOS were available for Android but I see some are finally coming to Android.
  • xXErebuSxXErebuS Member Posts: 230
    What do you guys thinking about the rooted Nooks? Thread made me look into it; looks like I'll be picking up a used Nook Color for $50 and rooting it with JB for the toddler in the home whom kills my phone battery on Hill Climb.
  • ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm getting one when it's released in UK :)

Currently I have a Hyundai T7 Chinese tablet specs wise it's faster than the original Nexus but the only downfall is the battery life. I have rooted it and got with of the Chinese bloat not a bad tablet for the price :)

I want a new nexus 7 for studying and taking notes
    Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "
  • JustFredJustFred Member Posts: 678 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It's a shame Europe is never a priority for these tech companies. The wait is just awful
    [h=2]"After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true." Spock[/h]
  • Asif DaslAsif Dasl Member Posts: 2,116 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Updated Ars Technica review here. Engadget review here.

I'm getting one but the screen real estate is a concern for me compared to the iPad Mini - if you look at this Wikipedia photo.. probably getting both but I still think I'd like it to be a bit wider.
  • About7NarwhalAbout7Narwhal Member Posts: 761
    I have had mine for 2 days now and I love it. I loved the older one as well, but this one blows it away. The speakers alone are enough for me to justify the purchase.
    Asif Dasl wrote: »
    Updated Ars Technica review here. Engadget review here.

I'm getting one but the screen real estate is a concern for me compared to the iPad Mini - if you look at this Wikipedia photo.. probably getting both but I still think I'd like it to be a bit wider.

Yeah that was something I found was comic books in full page view made the text uncomfortable for me to read, the iPad mini was just right, a 10 inch tablet is optimum. The best thing for me was to use smart panel view for comics but that only works if I buy them from Comixology.