How do you 'get' experience?

CDRichardsCDRichards Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi,

I'm looking to get into the IT industry after completed quite a few more certs but the thing that I'm concerned about is experience. In any walk of life, you can have all the certs you like but they tend to be useless if you haven't got experience to go with them.

What's the best way to gain experience? I live in south Wales, near Swansea and Llanelli and would be fully prepared to work for free during weekends if it didn't coincide with my current work commitments, do companies do internships like this anymore? Is there a better way for me to get the experience that will a) help me better understand the industry and b) look good on my cv?

Cheers in advance,
Chris
2013 - MTA Networking Fundamentals [x] MTA Security Fundamentals [x] MTA Operating System Fundamentals [x] CompTIA Network+ [x] CCENT [in progress] CCNA [ ]

Comments

• Arod95Arod95 Member Posts: 216 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You could either do internships, look for an entry level job, or volunteer to different places in your area that need computer help, but do not feel like hiring a permanent IT guy since they probably don't have many computer problems. All of these different options depends on your area though.
  • NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    CDRichards wrote: »
    In any walk of life, you can have all the certs you like but they tend to be useless if you haven't got experience to go with them.
    That depends on if they're looking for someone entry-level or experienced.

Experience costs money, and some roles don't require it.
    What's the best way to gain experience?
    You gain adequate education and/or certifications for the job role you desire, create a resume, apply for jobs, and interview. The quality of that first job will depend largely on your preparation, but also on your local market.
  • vanquish23vanquish23 Member Posts: 224
    Join the military and complete 4 years of IT. Recruiters love Ex military.
    He who SYNs is of the devil, for the devil has SYN'ed and ACK'ed from the beginning. For this purpose, that the ACK might destroy the works of the devil.
  • IsmaeljrpIsmaeljrp Member Posts: 480 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would've done this if I could turn back the clock. I could always join again and change mos, but I love being a civilian too much.
  • gbdavidxgbdavidx Member Posts: 840
    Ismaeljrp wrote: »
    I would've done this if I could turn back the clock. I could always join again and change mos, but I love being a civilian too much.

I think about it alot too, but this.
  • CDRichardsCDRichards Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    EVERYBODY, thank you for your comments icon_smile.gif

1. Arod95 - I work 50+ hours a week as an engineer so only thing I can hope for is to offer my services for free during the weekends, will probably go for your idea of the smaller companies but also the larger ones to see if I can shadow someone. Hell, even offer to make the tea for the people!

2. NetworkVeteran - you talk sense!

3. Vanquish123 - lol, sadly I'm too old to join the military. Also like being a civi too much.
    2013 - MTA Networking Fundamentals [x] MTA Security Fundamentals [x] MTA Operating System Fundamentals [x] CompTIA Network+ [x] CCENT [in progress] CCNA [ ]
  • alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The key is to keep trying. If you think you can do the job, apply for it. The job I got right out of college was asking for 2-5 years experience and a bunch of other requirements that I didn't have. But they gave me a call back, I interviewed well and got the job.

In the mean time, keep your skills fresh and keep adding new skills.