Career Path Question

veloccityveloccity Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
First post. Spent the last couple hours reading a lot of the threads on the front page and already feel like I have a better understanding of where I want to go next but I could use some specific advice.

Quick background:
Current experience: 2.5years exp.
First 2 at a small MSP started out as a Systems Integrator. Spent my final 6 months as head Project Manager and was officially titled "Service Manager". Spent most of my time on server's, firewalls, and networking. Also very involved on the business side. I have been at my current job (also a small MSP) for 6 months and have a more general role as a tier 2 system engineer. Limited firewall / networking work. More general PC / help-desk work.

Education: B.S. in Computer Science. Working towards a M.S. in Information
Technology Management about 6 months left. Software Engineering certification.

I have no further certifications.

I lost my previous job due to a restructuring of the organization. I was offered a ownership share but turned it down due to various reasons. I am not happy with my current job. Not challenging enough, poor work environment, and little room for growth. I stuck with an MSP for the breadth of networks you encounter. I also really enjoyed the business side which I do not get to experience.

I currently work about 50 hours a week (normally more) and make $44k a year currently without the possibility for a bonus. It puts food on the table but its tight.

I enjoy PM work. I also really enjoy recommending technology solutions to clients and designing networks around defined requirements. Finally... I also enjoy being hands on and while I am not always overly technical I do want this to be a part of my day-to-day life.

Question: Where do I go next? I had intended on getting my CCNA as this tends to be the go-to network cert. From there I am lost... I will not be at my current position for long but would like to secure at least a single cert. before moving on.

Any assistance would be helpful. I apologize for the long rambling post.

Comments

• vanquish23vanquish23 Member Posts: 224
    What is your passion subject area? What interests you? Servers, Networking, PM? Pick a road, then find something to specialize in. Or you could pick two subjects. For me its Network with Security. FW's and CISSP/CEH stuff.
    He who SYNs is of the devil, for the devil has SYN'ed and ACK'ed from the beginning. For this purpose, that the ACK might destroy the works of the devil.
  • veloccityveloccity Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the comment.

I really enjoy networking/security. Having done a little bit of everything it is the most interesting bit of IT for me. I also really enjoy Project Management and want to be in upper management sooner than latter.

Is it possible to pursue both the technical and management side or would I really need to pick one and begin getting certs for that path?