Bio convert here, looking to step into the IT world

ninten5ninten5 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
So I studied biology in college and have not been able to get a job for the past year.

I am a bioinformatics graduate student at the moment and am looking for an entry level IT job. I have some Java knowledge too. What entry level certificate will allow me an entry level jib in the field?

Thanks

EDIT: should have told you guys I am very tech savvy, building, repairing computers in the past, installing OSes, rooting phones and installing all kinds of software's, HTML and creating webpages.

Comments

• NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If PC repair and software installation inspire you, CompTIA's A+ is the obvious starting point. Usually that's chased down with a Network+ and Security+, and by then you'll have some experience and better know what next to pursue. :)
    nintenS wrote:
    EDIT: should have told you guys I am very tech savvy, building, repairing computers in the past, installing OSes, rooting phones and installing all kinds of software's, HTML and creating webpages.
    Realize these are all tasks many teenagers with little education and/or training can accomplish. Thus, these basic certifications will only be your starting point, and from there the real work begins to build your career.
  • Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210

Realize these are all tasks many teenagers with little education and/or training can accomplish. Thus, these basic certifications will only be your starting point, and from there the real work begins to build your career.

This is very true. If a teenager can't perform these tasks, he is viewed as strange or something out of the norm. Definitely get the certs as they are what is going to move you forward.
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
  • blueberriesblueberries Banned Posts: 138
    If a teenager can't do these things he seems odd, if someone over 60 can do these things he is considered brilliant.
  • ninten5ninten5 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I wasn't bragging about my skills icon_rolleyes.gif was just showing my interest in the field.

Anyways, studying the book and watching videos tells me I will be ready to take the test pretty quickly.

What cert should I go for afterwards?
  • Snow.brosSnow.bros Member Posts: 832 ■■■■□□□□□□
    ninten5 wrote: »

Seeing what interests you, i second the guys on this one too, A+,N+,Sec+ CompTIA trio are the best cert to start with to get step forward in IT.
    ninten5 wrote: »
    What cert should I go for afterwards?
    This will depend on you afterwards on which career path you would want to follow, see the CompTIA certs help in laying a foundation for your career path that interest you, you have said you have some java knowledge maybe it might be a good idea to step in to Oracle database certs. Good luck on whatever you decide to do!!!icon_wink.gif