Buying an ASA5505.

RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
Share your experiences, knowledge, and flags.

What types of problems should I expect when purchasing an ASA from Amazon or Ebay?
In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

Comments

• jahsouljahsoul Member Posts: 453
    I've never heard of anyone really having an issue with purchasing a ASA used. The biggest thing that you would need to look out for (depending on your usage) is licensing.
    Reading: What ever is on my desk that day :study:
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Yeah. That's one of the things I was expecting. But it wouldn't be for anything public. Just for the exam and lab it would definitely have to last after CCNA. I'd like to eventually get CCNP:Sec but that time span might be a while.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I haven't had any problems buying one. If you wait it out you can get one around $300. You don't really need the plus license for the CCNA:S.
  • vanquish23vanquish23 Member Posts: 224
    I bought mine for around $300. Yes, the base license is enough for CCNA: Security. If you plan to go take the CCNP: Security, you will need more features. I have the Security+ because I access my Cisco lab remotely while at work.
    He who SYNs is of the devil, for the devil has SYN'ed and ACK'ed from the beginning. For this purpose, that the ACK might destroy the works of the devil.
  • RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    I wouldn't spend the money on a 5505 for the CCNA Security, it's not needed and is barely covered in the NA. Load ASA 8.4(2) in GNS3 and use ASDM and use that.

NP security will bring about items the 5505 will not support (HA, Contexts etc) so even then use GNS3 because 5510's are not cheap w/ security plus license (which you will need)
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?