CCENT / CCNA or MCSA route

CDRichardsCDRichards Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi, am after a little bit of advice. I have already done a MTA Networking Fundamentals cert and a CompTIA Network+ cert and was wondering what would be the best cert to go for next? I want to get into networking but want to make sure I have a solid foundation of knowledge and good set of certs before I actually start applying for jobs. Should I go for a MCSA Windows Server 2012 or just head straight through the CCENT and then the CCNA (if I pass the CCENT of course) or would the MCSA give me a broader knowledge which would in turn help me initially with the Cisco route, but also on the job? Don't get me wrong, I want to get the MCSA anyway because it interests me, but in your opinion which way should I do them? OR, is there some other cert that would help me?

Thank you in advance,
Chris icon_smile.gif
2013 - MTA Networking Fundamentals [x] MTA Security Fundamentals [x] MTA Operating System Fundamentals [x] CompTIA Network+ [x] CCENT [in progress] CCNA [ ]

Comments

• wallpaper_01wallpaper_01 Member Posts: 226 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Well I went from N+ to CCENT as the topics were similar so were fresh in my mind, so personally I would go for that first. I take my CCNA soon. But I'm with you, that I want a good foundation of knowledge so I'm going MCSA straight away after.

Most the jobs around me require windows certs so I thought it wouldnt hurt to get it. After that im thinking Linux cert then something more specific like CCNA:Voice.

I'm going to start apply for jobs after CCNA but let employers know about my current and future studies, so im not wasting time just doing certs and no job.

Good luck!
  • CDRichardsCDRichards Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi,

thanks for your input, seems like I'm thinking the right way, which is odd for me icon_smile.gif In fact, looking at your goals, it's identical apart from the Red Hat, don't think I'll have the time to do that this year, only a few days into my CCENT training.

Out of curiosity, what methods did you use for your CCENT studying? I'm using the Cisco Press Official Cert Guide and also watching the CBT Nuggets video tutorials with the Train Signal tutorials to follow.

Again, thanks for the reply, set my mind at ease.
    2013 - MTA Networking Fundamentals [x] MTA Security Fundamentals [x] MTA Operating System Fundamentals [x] CompTIA Network+ [x] CCENT [in progress] CCNA [ ]
  • kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    Since u already went for Net+, I'd recommend go for CCNA next.
    Personal opinion, most network jobs I see in my area also request MCSA or good AD foundations.
    So I would also suggest going for MCSA
    meh
    Hi Kurosaki00,

thanks for your reply, excuse my ignorance but what are AD foundations? I bet I'm going to look like a prize plum when I find out lol!!!!!
  • Arod95Arod95 Member Posts: 216 ■■■□□□□□□□
    AD stands for Active Directory, and MCSA Covers that a lot! It is how servers, and networks work with Microsoft technology. It is so important that one of the three test to get your MCSA is dedicated to nothing but the Active Directory. To your question though I would recommend getting both, but since you just finished Net+ go for CCNA first while its still fresh on your mind. MCSA will barely touch the topics you learned in Net+ except maybe some of the hardware, and networking concepts. But it will be very little. Good luck with everything!
    Arod95, thank you for your reply. A-ha! Yip, do know about AD, or at least I've heard of it. Would never have guessed it though. I also think it would be a good idea to get both, to me, and I may be wrong, servers and networks work together so would be wise to know about both icon_smile.gif
  • MeatCatalogueMeatCatalogue Member Posts: 145
    MCSA on 2008 is about 10x harder than a CCNA. Having both certs the CCNA can be done in about 3 weeks after getting a N+. It comes down to what environment you perfer. Do you love command line or a gui? Do you want to work at the application level of the OSI or layer 2 and 3 all day? MCSA does a lot of networking work too, but no configing a cmd line...
    MeatCatalogue, thank you for the reply. I want to work with hardware, even down to repairing the hardware in time. However, I do love all aspects of IT (at the moment). I think the only line of work, or route, I wouldn't take is programming, not 100% programming anyway. Don't want to be stuck behind a desk all the time, want to be hands on which is why I thought networking would be fun. Really interested in the security side too, CompTIA Security+ but I'd start at the MTA Security first just to get my foundations sorted. Oh, VMWare too. You know what the problem is, there's too much choice and they all look interesting!
    @CDRichards I couldn't agree with you more when it comes there's too many choices! I love the security, and networking aspect of IT. I took the MTA Security last month, and I would have to say if you are going to security+ right after that certification don't bother getting MTA Security then. Everything the book for the cert covers is basically bits, and parts of some of the Security+ book. I too went for MTA Security to set down the foundations but if you have taken A+, Net+, and even MCSA Server 2008 all the info of security from those books contain most of the info you learn for MTA Security. But if you want just a taste of Security then go for the MTA then cause it doesn't really go in-depth that much.
  • NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I would also reccomend CCNA next
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
    Arod95 - I'm thinking that if I don't enjoy the MTA Security I'll have wasted less time and money than committing to the CompTIA Security+. All that is a long way off though, got my CCENT and then CCNA to get first. Starting to REALLY get into it now, very enjoyable.

CarlSaiyed - thank you for your comment. Is there any literature or training method you would recommend?
    Alright that's true I didn't think about that good luck with everything!
  • NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Todd Lammle's study guides are excellent.
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
    @CarlSaiyed - searched Amazon UK and the book for the new Todd Lammle CCENT / CCNA isn't out until mid October icon_sad.gif Hoping to have passed at least one by then icon_wink.gif but going forward I will keep an eye out for his literature. I am currently reading the Cisco Press one, seemed intense to begin with but now I'm used to that style, loving it!

@Arod95 - today I'm thinking your way about the Sec+ and MTA Sec certs. I think because there are so many options I'm confusing myself lol.
    Lol it is a very confusing process one day I'll say I'll do one thing, someone says something to me, and I change my whole plan up then 2 days later I change it back to how I originally had it. Either way what you could do is just read the books first before scheduling so if you don't like the material the only thing you have wasted is time, and about $30 maybe. But there is too many options I originally had many options, but now I'm limited since I just finished my internship lol.
  • Snow.brosSnow.bros Member Posts: 832 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Cant you do them both based on my research i think both add value to your career?
  • wallpaper_01wallpaper_01 Member Posts: 226 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yeah I used Todd Lammle's study guide and its an odd moment now because of the exam change over time, you can get his ICND1 book now though for the new exam 100-101, on amazon US store, maybe get it shipped? Or kindle might work?

Good luck! CBT nuggets is much better for CCNA than it was for N+ also!
    @Arod95 lol, yesterday when my brain was giving up I started MTA Database Fundamentals!!! Just wanted a change from Cisco for a few hours. Enjoyed that too but not taking it seriously, need to concentrate on CCENT for the time being.

@suman yadav thank you for your comment icon_smile.gif

@Snow Bros I think I'll prob take the MCSA after the CCNA (if I make it that far!!)

@Wallpaper01 when I get a chance I will look into the Lammle kindle edition. Would be handy to have on me when I'm out working and have a spare half hour or so, thank you.
  • Snow.brosSnow.bros Member Posts: 832 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I know you will, that's what i am planning to do next when i am done with N+ i am going straight that route, the senior guys at work are busy with their MCSE cert so i also want to join them just to build momentum, so also think you will make it if you study hard as well and besides there is always someone who is more experienced in those MS certs who is willing to give out advice or assist you to get your way forward.
  • x2601x2601 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Lammle's books are awesome in terms of organization and accessibility. Highly recommended when paired with something a bit drier and nitty-gritty like the Wendell Odom books or the CCNA Exploration books. Also, CBT is great for supplementary material.

Speaking of Sybex, though, I'm using the new Sybex MCSA 2012 and its fantastic. Combining it with TechNet and CBT.
  • olaHaloolaHalo Member Posts: 748 ■■■■□□□□□□
    While I have not taken my CCNA exams yet I have studied for it.
    I took the Windows 7 MCSA exam and it was pretty difficult imo. And the Server 2008 MCSA is even harder for me.

So yeah, knock out your CCNA before you do any MCSA.
    I wish I did it in that order...
    @Snow.bros I don't work in the IT industry so no-one to get advice from apart from this site, but this site is working wonders for me icon_smile.gif Good luck with your N+ I passed it earlier this year and it does help with the CCENT, gives you a good foundation.

@x2601 Lammle hasn't released the new version of his CCENT book in the UK yet, only the ICNDv1 but I will get it when it's released. Everybody says he's good.

@ olaHalo well done on your MCSA. I think (and this always changes lol) I'll look at the job market after / if I get my CCNA and see what's relevant in the UK so will either get back to Microsoft training, another Cisco cert or even the CompTIA Sec+. Too many choices!!!!! lol.

Thanks all for your comments, all are appreciated and helpful.