General Q Re: Security+

netsurfer802netsurfer802 Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
I'm studying for Security+ and am wanting to know what others have done to successfully pass the Security+ exam the first time.

I have bought Security+ book by Michael Meyers and also make flash cards for questions I don't get right.

Is there any thing else I can do that another has done to successfully pass this certification the first time?

Thanks in advanced for any helpful response.

Comments

• SharkbaitSharkbait Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    There are 3 things I read on this website that is almost universal...
    1. The Darril Gibson Security+ book
    2. The Professor Messer training videos on youtube (*free*)...that's always nice.
    3. As many practice exam questions you can get your hands on. This website has a few hundred, and there are others out there too.

Piece of advice...make sure you really understand the material. The questions on the exam are worded in such a way that confuse you if you don't know why the right answer is the right answer, and the wrong answer is the wrong answer.

Another thing I'm doing is just picking through some of the threads in this website. There are some juicy nuggets in there as well.

Good luck,
    -Sharkbait-
  • DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    Welcome to the forums netsurfer802. In addition to the suggestions Sharkbait mentions, I recommend you read up on the new performance based questions. CompTIA added them after the objectives were released and they have surprised some test takers.

Good luck.
  • TechGuy215TechGuy215 Member Posts: 404 ■■■■□□□□□□
    All of the aforementioned resources are great!

I also recommend making yourself a study guide with the following:

1. Well-known Ports
    2. PKI's
    3. Encryption Types: Asym and Sym
    4. Basic definitions of Attacks

Use this study guide the day of the exam right before sitting, just to keep fresh!

Good Luck! icon_thumright.gif
    * Currently pursuing: PhD: Information Security and Information Assurance
    * Certifications: CISSP, CEH, CHFI, CCNA:Sec, CCNA:R&S, CWNA, ITILv3, VCA-DCV, LPIC-1, A+, Network+, Security+, Linux+, Project+, and many more...
    * Degrees: MSc: Cybersecurity and Information Assurance; BSc: Information Technology - Security; AAS: IT Network Systems Administration
  • netsurfer802netsurfer802 Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Ok, thank you all for the responses. If anybody has any other ideas on what works please let me know as well. Thanks again.
  • jvrlopezjvrlopez Member Posts: 913 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I memorized the well known ports (FTP, DNS, SSH, DHCP, HTTP, SMTP, SSL/TLS, etc), encryption methods (asymetric/symetric and which fell under which), and hashing methods.

I memorized them by writing them 50 times over until I had it committed to memory.

When you arrive to take the test, you'll be given a dry erase board and marker. **** all this memorized material onto the board and when you see a question on the test that is in regards to the memorized material, just reference the board. These questions will be gimmes that can help you towards a passing score.
    And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna
  • PhoneJockeyPhoneJockey Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    jvrlopez wrote: »
    I memorized the well known ports (FTP, DNS, SSH, DHCP, HTTP, SMTP, SSL/TLS, etc), encryption methods (asymetric/symetric and which fell under which), and hashing methods.

I memorized them by writing them 50 times over until I had it committed to memory.

When you arrive to take the test, you'll be given a dry erase board and marker. **** all this memorized material onto the board and when you see a question on the test that is in regards to the memorized material, just reference the board. These questions will be gimmes that can help you towards a passing score.

I cannot stress what jvrlopez has already said enough but the above pretty much sums up everything you need to do to prepare. Never look at a test in the opposite direction, always focus on passing and pacing through the questions and read the question, read it twice, hell read it 4 times and say it out loud if possible. Do not let the eager tech in you jump to the answer because you only read half the question.

Study the tests @ Security+ Study Guides, Practice Exams, Training Resources, and Forums

Every day dedicate at least 30 minutes to testing, practicing. Keep your mind logic fresh, play some chess :)